Roofing repair advice required

I've just had the valleys replaced while I was away for a week, so I thought I would check inside the roof to see if there was any sign of wet after all the rain last week.

No wet, but I found this.

The felting is all ripped and hanging down in 3 places.

The guy did tell me that I would need a new roof in a few years, but I don't think that it should have been left like this, open to the elements!

I have not called him yet, just waiting on some expert advice from someone here!

CIMG4229.jpg

I've just had the valleys replaced while I was away for a week, so I thought I would check inside the roof to see if there was any sign of wet after all the rain last week.

No wet, but I found this.

The felting is all ripped and hanging down in 3 places.

The guy did tell me that I would need a new roof in a few years, but I don't think that it should have been left like this, open to the elements!

I have not called him yet, just waiting on some expert advice from someone here!

CIMG4229.jpg

Looks like old 1f type felt.This felt was used years ago.

The new felts are all breather-membrane(lets your roof breath).

Problem with 1f, after a certain age if can become brittle and sag in places.

This is ok provided all slates are in place.

The felt in the picture may not have been caused to sag by the replacement of the valley.Also the slates look like fFibre/cement(may contain a small amount of asbestos) and look in reasonable condition.

Thanks for responses..but I would like to know if it was 'too much' to expect that he would repair this whilst renewing the valley?

It wasn't ripped/torn before the job was started.

I appreciate that the felt is brittle and goes under the lats but surely it could/should have been 'patched up'.

As Paul (per1) says, old felt like that goes brittle with age. To be honest, i'd have just trimmed it back to tidy the job up.

So if it's tidied up from the inside it doesn't matter that the tiles are exposed from the inside?

Having tiles or slates exposed is perfectly ok, felt was originally introduced as a energy saving thing, many of the older properties have roofs with no felt installed.

The Valley and the felt works are two deferent items.

Archived