Which car is the new Morris Oxford?

I learned to drive in a Morris Oxford, and won't hear a word said against them.

However, whereas the Oxford didn't have synchromesh on 1st gear, the cars that I don't want to find myself behind nowadays are those that don't appear to have been fitted with usable mirrors and indicators. There appear to be a lot of them.

• 2 weeks later...
A variation of the A60 was the austin westminster R factory fitted with a rolls-royce engine, all leather upholstery and walnut trim much loved by professionals such as doctors and accountants.

The standard production model had a 1622cc b series engine and was called the Cambridge, quite a heavy car for the engine, the Westminster version had a six cylinder c series engine 3000cc much better but heavy on fuel.

The front suspension was a poor design using king pins and the shockers were really rubbish lever arm types.

The Austin Westminster was a totally different car from a Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge. They had virtually nothing in common apart for the designer. It had a 10 inch longer wheelbase for a start.

They were no more alike than a Ford Cortina was like a Ford Granada.

Archived