The last VHS tape you bought?

It almost seems a lifetime ago, but in fact, only within the last decade or so did most people that I know;-

• Start to regularly use the internet
  • Have a mobile 'phone that did other things besides text/call?

And when did you last;-

• Buy, use or sell VHS tapes (I sold lots on ebay 2003, yes- people bought them!)
  • Use a public 'phone box? Even wait in line in all weather to use it!
  • Buy an audio cassette?

My kids fall on the floor laughing...

They were novel enough in their day for recording but the picture quality was garbage. I always had a problem adjusting the damn picture with that tracking device the VCRs came with. There was always a slight jitter and sometimes the picture would start rolling. Oh and of course I remember I had one VCR that loved to chew up tapes.

Later I started to record stuff from the TV onto DVD and much better picture.

Today I just tune the TV channel to high def and DVR anything I want to watch later. Perfect picture quality

Titanic? I think? :confused:

Audio cassettes? Uuuuuuhhhhh.

We did have two very old, dusty VCR's in the garage on a shelf. Would you believe a man riding his bike past our house stopped, rang the bell and asked if we wanted to sell them. We said we didn't know if they even worked anymore. He said he didn't care and bought them anyway.

It almost seems a lifetime ago, but in fact, only within the last decade or so did most people that I know;-

• Start to regularly use the internet
  • Have a mobile 'phone that did other things besides text/call?

And when did you last;-

• Buy, use or sell VHS tapes (I sold lots on ebay 2003, yes- people bought them!)
  • Use a public 'phone box? Even wait in line in all weather to use it!
  • Buy an audio cassette?

My kids fall on the floor laughing...

At one time I worked for a British government organisation which 'evaluated things'. We dealt (on a daily basis) with stuff which didn't exist (and in some cases, never ever existed.) (I was seconded to this unit ... and it was one of the best jobs I never had. :hihi:) - Tomorrow's World (remember that programme? - but I got it a year before Raymond did..

One day, somebody came up to me and said: Well Rupert, I've got a task for you. There's this idea. it's a sort of phone which doesn't need wires and will work anywhere. There will be towers, arranged to provide cells, which will guarantee communication.

It did work, too - and I had a cellphone in 1981. fortunately, I was a young fit man then - because the batteries were lead-acid and weighed 45lb!

I wasn't sure whether it would catch on. OK, I had one - but nobody else did, so anybody who thought I might be somwhere else didn't bother trying to call me.

I could hardly get on a bus (with my mega battery pack) and phone some unidentified plonker and say: "Guess what, I'm on a bus and I'm going to a supermarket"(which is what people seem to use cell phones for nowadays.)

My report (written after a 6-month trial) was favourable.

But I screwed up big time. I never realised that there would be such a demand for :

(a) people on buses to call somëbody and say "Ï'm on a bus!" (Earth-shattering news!)

or

(b) secondary-school children to walk out of he school gate and send a txtmwsg to thr frnd who was standing 15 feet away..

Archived