Is it just me that thinks electing lords is pointless?

No they are not. Working people are providing for all their needs from cleaning their windows to performing surgical operations. They are taking everything out and putting nothing in. They are the worst type of scrounger. They are useless and surplus to the requirements of any decent country. Take the wealth off them as it is not morally theirs. They did not earn it.

they would have to be idiots to do that work for free:huh:

I am saying that this country should not put up with the idle rich gentry. We should simply seize their assets for the common good.

who says they are idle:loopy:

A lot of them seem to work their arses off! How do you think all their money doesn't get swallowed up paying for the up keep of their huge houses-its because they manage their estates. A lot of them have to sell up because they can't afford to keep the roof on-literally!

Hereditary peers should be totally abolished ...period. They should take the royal family with them too. We cannot afford to be encouraging privilege. We should strive for a fairer society where everyone has equal opportunities. The establishment must go!

The alternative system of professional politicians proposed would not be better....I suspect the reason the parties want this is because then the lords would tow the party line instead of rejecting ill thought out legislation.

Better would be to keep it unelected, but it should not be hereditary and not be friends/donors of parties.

I have two good reasons for an elected Lords

The Bishops who sit as lords

and

Lord Mandelson

However I believe the proposal is for 20% to be appointed and 80% to be elected, please correct me if this is wrong it's a figure I seem to remember reading from somewhere, and I've got a shiny penny says which percentage Lord Mandelson and the Lord Bishops are going to fall into and it won't be the elected one

Archived