Religious folk, have you ever broken the rules of your faith?

I have, in the earlier days of my faith, disobayed the 'do not drink intoxicants' rule. This was because of my own arrogance and I thought that I was good enough at practicing to 'bend' the rules if I saw fit.

I still do break that rule on new years eve (but never at any other time), where I have a glass of scotch in memory of my Great Grandma.

Other than that I never intentionally break the rules of my faith (of which there are actually relatively few), I accidentally 'break' them sometimes, but in Buddhism it is not considered breaking the rules if it is unintentional, because the Buddhist ethical system is based on intention.

But surely having your glass of scotch every new years eve is intentional? So how is it justified?

But surely having your glass of scotch every new years eve is intentional? So how is it justified?

I don't justify it, I am breaking the rules. I'm not doing it pretending I'm not breaking the rules or trying to justify it to myself.

There is no God in Buddhism waiting to punish me for it, if I break the rules it is down to me and I don't benefit from following them.

Morning all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'seeking redemption' a fundamental requirement in all religions? If so, would it be fair to presume that God expected his rules to be broken from time to time and is asking that not only his worshipers seek redemption for their sins, but those of us who for whatever reason do not worship him seek it also?

If so, would it be fair to presume that God expected his rules to be broken from time to time and is asking that not only his worshipers seek redemption for their sins, but those of us who for whatever reason do not worship him seek it also?

Regardless of Redemption, that should not exempt us from knowingly breaking the rules, especially as OP asked if we broke the rules, intentionally or rebelliously.

If a person has wealthy parents, that does not mean they should rely on their parents to continuously bail them out of their debts, or expect them to use their influence to enable them to escape criminal punishment; only for that perpetrator to continue such behaviour or crimes.

Regardless of Redemption, that should not exempt us from knowingly breaking the rules, especially as OP asked if we broke the rules, intentionally or rebelliously.
Perhaps it shouldn't exempt us, but that doesn't alter the fact that it does and always will. Like I asked before, isn't that what God expects?

Originally posted by poppet

If a person has wealthy parents, that does not mean they should rely on their parents to continuously bail them out of their debts, or expect them to use their influence to enable them to escape criminal punishment; only for that perpetrator to continue such behaviour or crimes.

But now you're talking about an individuals perception of morality conflicting with the criminal law and it's code of morality. The OP wasn't. The criminal law or rather the judicial system can't be compared to Gods law or rather the 'judgement of God' as the judicial system isn't their to redeem a person of their crimes, it's there to punish someone for their crimes, whereas in the eyes of God, it's never to late to redeem yourself whatever crimes you may have committed.

The fact that they don't thrust it into your face does not mean that it doesn't exist. The Bible comes with a whole barrage of rules and regulations, and all of those demoninations consider it to be the inspired Word of God.

Ergo, if you consider yourself a Christian, you are "breaking the rules" if you don't follow all of the instructions set down in the Bible. Which, of course, it is impossible to do; that's why you need Jesus to cover for you on Judgment Day, because it is an absolute certainty that you will fail the test.

This does not make sense- because there no Biblical laws that bind Christians only.

The Bible (= Five Books of Moses) binds:

a. Jews to 613 commandments; and

b. everyone else to 7 Noachide commandments. If they want- voluntarily- to adopt extra laws, that's OK; but they cannot claim these to be mandatory.

Remember too that all early Christians were Jewish. Gradually, their religion abolished all inherited laws (although they, as others, remain bound by the 7). Christianity is instead posited on feelings and acceptance, regarding rule-based faiths with a degree of rejection.

Perhaps it shouldn't exempt us, but that doesn't alter the fact that it does and always will. Like I asked before, isn't that what God expects?

But now you're talking about an individuals perception of morality conflicting with the criminal law and it's code of morality. The OP wasn't. The criminal law or rather the judicial system can't be compared to Gods law or rather the 'judgement of God' as the judicial system isn't their to redeem a person of their crimes, it's there to punish someone for their crimes, whereas in the eyes of God, it's never to late to redeem yourself whatever crimes you may have committed.

My example was to show that a person cannot expect to continue in their wrong-doings intentionally on the pretext that they will be rewarded at the end of the day without any effort on their part.

We will all receive redemption, but we are expected to make an effort to follow the rules that have been written and abide by them. Otherwise why have rules and commandments?

Archived