Bangla Cottage Indian Restaurant, Hillsborough

ynguk

Ok, it's been over a year since someone posted anything about this restaurant, and I went a couple of months ago, so thought I'd give a little update.

I am moving back to Sheffield, having lived here for several years previously. I have tried a whole bunch of indian restaurants and curry houses, and I am pleased to say that I think I have found the pick of the litter. I will probably return here every time, as I have not found one that matches it.

The atmosphere as you walk in is warm and it smells good (perhaps a strange observation, but I often find that indian restaurants smell either stale or overpoweringly of onions and chilli). There is a comfortable, slightly detached waiting area by the bar with nice sofas and Indian snacks in bowls (usually bombay mix, but like someone else has said, the proper stuff, not the fodder you often get). The staff are very attentive, and have a good sense of humour, but are not at all pushy, and this first impression is perhaps what makes the rest of the experience so enjoyable. The only slight fault was that there was no Bangla left on tap, which is my favorite asian beer. They did apologise for this though, and they had Kingfisher, so no big deal.

As far as the food is concerned, I was extremely impressed from start to finish. The vegetables were fresh, the spices were used in the right proportions and with some originality, and the side dishes like Saag Paneer were brilliant. The naan was the best I have tasted for many years; light, fluffy and flavoursome. But the thing that really sealed the deal for me was the meat. They make a point of the quality of meat used on the menu, and it is justified. I opted for a lamb Karahi, and whereas in other restaurants the lamb is usually passable at best, if not a little chewy, this lamb was tender and flavoursome. Trust me when I say you can immediately taste the difference.

The meal was also good value. 2 pints and 2 bottles of beer, 2 starters, 1 side, 2 mains a rice and a naan came to under £40!

This is my ringing endorsement, and I only hope it encourages more people to go there. These guys deserve a reputation, as the effort they put in pays off big time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I see there is what looks to be a new Indian restaurant in Hillsborough next to Wetherspoons/Deep End. Is this open now? And if so has anyone tried it yet?

i can remember when it used to be a gents toilets and that has put me off dining there for years...but an indian there maybe i could be venturing there one night....

• 11 months later...

Spent £33 on a take out, and never got so much as a popadom as a gesture of thanks for my order, it wasn't out of the ordinary, at least the chinese appreciate your custom, bangle can shove their menu where the monkey shoves it's nuts, it can't come close to the Mangla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...