Roswell .. 65 years on.

Which then begs the question, why keep it secret if there's nothing to hide? I'm certainly not of the conspiracy theorist mode. But it just seems logical to me.

Nothing to hide, then release all the information.

I don't think there is anything to hide at that location but denying it, even faking supposed evidence for conspiricists to find means that focus is on that area instead of somewhere else where there maybe something to hide.

Which then begs the question, why keep it secret if there's nothing to hide? I'm certainly not of the conspiracy theorist mode. But it just seems logical to me.

Nothing to hide, then release all the information.

Perhaps it's good for tourism?

And gives you a subject for a TV show? (or three.)

People love a mystery. The belief of aliens is far more exciting than the truth. A Tom Clancy novel suggests that it was military equipment designed to spy on and measure Russian nuclear tests.

Very true. There was a program on TV a while ago all about Scotland's UFO triangle and Rosslyn Chapel, which was mentioned in the Da Vinci Code and supposedly has a time travel portal in it. The strange UFO sightings in the area have been explained because there are US and UK military establishments scattered around with jets on training exercises.

Even after reading the book people still don't understand that its fiction based on fictional ideas and is not true.

The truth is out there but don't expect it to be alien.

Personally, I reckon there's some kind of cover up. There's been a couple of FBI guys who've said as much, not to mention all the witnesses who saw the crash site. The pictures the Air Force showed of debris 'recovered' at the site to the press was not the same as witnesses saw. The local radio station was banned from reporting the crash and witnesses were intimidated and warned not to speak about what they saw.

The Air force went to great lengths to remove every scrap of material found at the site(s) and covered any evidence of a crash by re-planting. The press release from the Commanding General of the 8th Air Force to the media about the wreckage being a radar tracking balloon seems questionable, as the previous day the 509th Bomb Group (who recovered the wreckage) claimed it was a 'Crashed flying disc'. Some discrepancy!

It has to be remembered that the Air Force try out many experimental aircraft in New Mexico and always have done. At the time of the Roswell crash the cold war was heating up and there was a great deal of concern over spies working for the Soviets.

It was the age when research into better and faster jet aircraft was intense and a very serious issue with the defence department.

When the Korean war started the Russian MIg-15 was proving itself to be superior to the American F-84 and it wasnt until they came out with the F-86 that the Mig met it's match.

So since all this happened in the time period '45-51 the state of mind at that time has to be taken into consideration.

A weather balloon crashed at Roswell.

In the ocean and in the air there are sound channels that mean you can hear a noise pretty much wherever you are in the world.

This is how the US were able to locate pilots who were shot down in the pacific in WW2.

They dropped a hollow metal ball into the ocean and it then collapsed due to pressure at a certain depth. With some nifty equations you can find where someone is in the ocean via this method.

The US were testing if using the sound channels in the air they could listen in to the Soviets nuclear tests to locate exactly where they were taking place.

I know this doesn't read too well but i'm a bit tired so hopefully it makes sense!

A weather balloon crashed at Roswell.

In the ocean and in the air there are sound channels that mean you can hear a noise pretty much wherever you are in the world.

This is how the US were able to locate pilots who were shot down in the pacific in WW2.

They dropped a hollow metal ball into the ocean and it then collapsed due to pressure at a certain depth. With some nifty equations you can find where someone is in the ocean via this method.

The US were testing if using the sound channels in the air they could listen in to the Soviets nuclear tests to locate exactly where they were taking place.

I know this doesn't read too well but i'm a bit tired so hopefully it makes sense!

A genuinely interesting post, it's not often I learn something new on here among the boring arguments.

A genuinely interesting post, it's not often I learn something new on here among the boring arguments.

It's called the SOFAR channel - about a kilometer down depending on salinity and temperture the speed of sound in water is at a minimum and sound propogates very efficiently. The SOSUS sonar networks tend to concentrate on this depth for taht reason. The exact distance you can detect from is classified but I can say that the WW2 imploding spheres were easily audible with decent sonar tranducers at a few thousand kilometers - get three of them and accurate clocks and you can triangulate the position very easily.

Thanks for that! (Old age is creeping up and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.)

My submariner friends (And I do know a few short-arsed people ;)) would probably argue that it isn't quite as straightforward as you suggest. - But strange things do happen at sea. :hihi:

I've never heard of 'acoustic tubes' in the atmosphere but 'anomalous propagation' (anaprop) was well-known [and fairly well understood] by the late 60's.

'Odin's Wrath's' post now makes a great deal of sense. I'll see what I can find out.

'I'm going outside and I may be a while.' ;)

Archived