My Driving Offence court case Dropped due to Incorrect Info on Ticket

A few months ago i was given a ticket by the police for parking on zig zag lines near a zebra crossing at 11.30pm outside a 24 hr shop . Ok , before anyone points out the obvious , yes i was guilty ,and yes i commited the offence. But the ticket that was being written out by the copper when i emerged from the shop was full of errors when they had finished speaking to me and taking my details. Even though they had my driving licence in their hand ,the copper still wrote the wrong surname on the ticket ,the wrong house number ,and the wrong postcode ,even though my address was clearly written on my licence.

Anyway , i didnt mention this to the copper , i just drove off and thought im going to opt for going to court over this. So i took that option ,and the court hearing was for tomorrow (11th july). Now i know that the police CANNOT present false/untrue evidence to the courts ,and i was confident the case would be thrown out by the magistrate tomorrow. Anyway , i had a phone call this morning from the CPS informing me they had viewed my case papers this morning ,and because of all the incorrect information the p0olice submitted to them , they were dropping the case ,and no further action will be taken . I was confident it would be dropped ,but the CPS told me the magistrate would have thrown out the case tomorrow anyway ,and they are saving tax payers money by not making me attend court.

So always make sure the info on any traffic/ parking ticket is correct ,as if its not the CPS will drop it.

Im not disputing i commited the offence ,but the fault here lies with sloppy police work when doing the most simple task in filling out a ticket.

Should i have just admitted my guilt and paid the £60 fine and taken 3 pts on my licence ,or was i right in opting to go to court knowing the ticket was full of false details. ?

A few months ago i was given a ticket by the police for parking on zig zag lines near a zebra crossing at 11.30pm outside a 24 hr shop . Ok , before anyone points out the obvious , yes i was guilty ,and yes i commited the offence. But the ticket that was being written out by the copper when i emerged from the shop was full of errors when they had finished speaking to me and taking my details. Even though they had my driving licence in their hand ,the copper still wrote the wrong surname on the ticket ,the wrong house number ,and the wrong postcode ,even though my address was clearly written on my licence.

Anyway , i didnt mention this to the copper , i just drove off and thought im going to opt for going to court over this. So i took that option ,and the court hearing was for tomorrow (11th july). Now i know that the police CANNOT present false/untrue evidence to the courts ,and i was confident the case would be thrown out by the magistrate tomorrow. Anyway , i had a phone call this morning from the CPS informing me they had viewed my case papers this morning ,and because of all the incorrect information the p0olice submitted to them , they were dropping the case ,and no further action will be taken . I was confident it would be dropped ,but the CPS told me the magistrate would have thrown out the case tomorrow anyway ,and they are saving tax payers money by not making me attend court.

So always make sure the info on any traffic/ parking ticket is correct ,as if its not the CPS will drop it.

Im not disputing i commited the offence ,but the fault here lies with sloppy police work when doing the most simple task in filling out a ticket.

Should i have just admitted my guilt and paid the £60 fine and taken 3 pts on my licence ,or was i right in opting to go to court knowing the ticket was full of false details. ?

Dunno if that is right, I'd have said the opposite!

I think you played a 'blinder'. It's the plods silly fault for being a bit thick. Or is your name really complicated to spell? :hihi:

surely that means if you just blatently lie about your details when they give you the ticket you will get away with it:huh:

The details presumably were taken directly from the guys driving license!....That's not lying! :huh:

surely that means if you just blatently lie about your details when they give you the ticket you will get away with it:huh:

"Even though they had my driving licence in their hand ,the copper still wrote the wrong surname on the ticket ,the wrong house number ,and the wrong postcode ,even though my address was clearly written on my licence. "

Looks like OP didn't lie...

"Even though they had my driving licence in their hand ,the copper still wrote the wrong surname on the ticket ,the wrong house number ,and the wrong postcode ,even though my address was clearly written on my licence. "

Looks like OP didn't lie...

I gave the copper my licence ,and i was gob smacked when he handed over the ticket and i saw so many basic errors on it. I assume once the CPS inform the copper of their decision to drop the case , he will be rightly embarrassed . I dare say his superior officer wont be best pleased either.

Did the plod manage to spell zig and zag ?

Its careless realy they can call hq or get the copter to airdrop and emergency dictionary.

But seriously - your dads a superintendent inst he.

Hahaha!...Funny! :hihi:

If it were me and knowing my luck, I'd have probably not only be charged with parking on the zig-zags, but providing false information to a police officer, and perverting the course of justice, and got a spell in clink! :suspect:

I gave the copper my licence ,and i was gob smacked when he handed over the ticket and i saw so many basic errors on it. I assume once the CPS inform the copper of their decision to drop the case , he will be rightly embarrassed . I dare say his superior officer wont be best pleased either.

He'll also be watching out for you too!!!! :suspect:

Archived