How can someone end a mobile phone contract?

You either pay up your due rent until the end of the contract, effectively buy yourself out.

Or if he wants out because he's buying another product from the same supplier, they may decide to waive the old contract if it means they keep a customer happy.

I think they've got him by the balls I'm afraid.

I've had the truly inspiring Nokia E5 for nearly two years now. I don't know what posessed me to choose that but I can't wait to be out of my contract. Gonna buy a handset outright and get a GiffGaff sim card.

I didn't realise how bad it is to be stuck with the same handset for two whole years. Does this mean that everyone who got the iPhone 4S when it came out are stuck with it for two years? Sure, it's top-of-the-range now, but it's gonna be pretty dated in two years.

Also, did all those people just manage to time it right as their old contract ended?

I really think I must be missing out on something everyone else knows about!

It's cheaper to buy the phone get a cheap sim only deal, only drawback is you have to pay £500 upfront, good thing it's you can sell your phone once you are bored with it and get something different, I sold my iphone4 for £320 and brought a iPhone 4s on date it was release, so it cost me £180 to upgrade to a brand new phone after 9 months used

I think they've got him by the balls I'm afraid.

I've had the truly inspiring Nokia E5 for nearly two years now. I don't know what posessed me to choose that but I can't wait to be out of my contract. Gonna buy a handset outright and get a GiffGaff sim card.

I didn't realise how bad it is to be stuck with the same handset for two whole years. Does this mean that everyone who got the iPhone 4S when it came out are stuck with it for two years? Sure, it's top-of-the-range now, but it's gonna be pretty dated in two years.

Also, did all those people just manage to time it right as their old contract ended?

I really think I must be missing out on something everyone else knows about!

My god are people really that fickle these days. Your only signing up for a 2 year contract for not 20 years.

For that amount of money either paid in monthly installments or a lump sum I would expect to have whichever product for more than two bloody years not less!!!!

Blimey does nothing last these days. I must be on my own with this one. I couldn't care less if they have brought out five newer versions I will upgrade when IM READY not when the media and the sheep are brainwashed into thinking they need an upgrade.

For example, my laptop is not state of the art but it works and its quick enough for me. Guess what.. its SHOCK HORROR 6 years old :o:o

My god are people really that fickle these days. Your only signing up for a 2 year contract for not 20 years.

For that amount of money either paid in monthly installments or a lump sum I would expect to have whichever product for more than two bloody years not less!!!!

Blimey does nothing last these days. I must be on my own with this one. I couldn't care less if they have brought out five newer versions I will upgrade when IM READY not when the media and the sheep are brainwashed into thinking they need an upgrade.

For example, my laptop is not state of the art but it works and its quick enough for me. Guess what.. its SHOCK HORROR 6 years old :o:o

I'm guessing you're one of those people that insist on telling anyone who'll listen, "I haven't even got a TV!", expecting some sort of hipster approval.

The technology market moves ridiculously fast these days. I work in the IT industry, as many thousands of people do, and it's certainly an advantage to keep abreast of the latest technologies.

There are people who insist on buying a new album on the day of release, or seeing a film, or wearing the latest fashion. How is this any different? It's because the ones with the new phones are easier to spot. And you stand there, getting madder and madder, thinking, "I'm better than these people! I don't have a TV, my laptop's six years old, and I'm wearing a puffy jacket and a pair of white denim jeans straight from the mid-nineties!".

Come on, Granddad, just leave them to it.

If he's with O2, you may be lucky. After the God-awful mess they've made of the last couple of days, you'd have grounds for stating that they had breached the terms of the contract by failing to provide a service that is fit for purpose.

It might be worth writing to them and cancelling the direct debit.........given the current parlous state of their business, I doubt very much that they'd argue the toss.

You cant legitimately dodge a contract, It's an awful situation for consumers.

What you can try is saying you cant get a signal at your home, therefore It's not fit for purpose. They may charge a dissconnection fee.

This is not a foolproof method though. I May have a similar issue in a few months, due to travel.

Unless you are in the armed forces they don't like you to cancel. The other options are negotiating a deduction on your line rental and transferring the contract to someone else.

Blimey does nothing last these days.

Today's mobile phones are far less rugged than before and feature far more features which can easily break, especially through use. Previously they were for ringing up people. Now they're mini computers.

I wouldn't expect to see many two year old phones without some wear and tear. Look at the Blackberry, its well known that the d-pad fails through over-use. My daughter's and most of her mates have needed theirs replacing after 6 months.

You can't, you've signed a contract and got your phone.

The reason contracts are generally two years in length is because phones are so expensive these days that they have to roll out the cost over a period of time.

What's a phone company going to want with a second hand phone after you've given it them back, just because you decide you don't want to be in it anymore?

Once you sign on the dotted like you're in, phone contracts should not be taken lightly, two years is quite a long time.

Archived