How can someone end a mobile phone contract?

You're still missing the point: if he's a minor, the contract never bound him!

I don't know if you've ever started a phone contract before, but you need ID to do it.

If the kid is under 18, then it's not his contract, it's the person's who signed up for it, and that person is bound.

You can't, you've signed a contract and got your phone.

The reason contracts are generally two years in length is because phones are so expensive these days that they have to roll out the cost over a period of time.

What's a phone company going to want with a second hand phone after you've given it them back, just because you decide you don't want to be in it anymore?

Once you sign on the dotted like you're in, phone contracts should not be taken lightly, two years is quite a long time.

Are you on ****ing commission?

I'm guessing you're one of those people that insist on telling anyone who'll listen, "I haven't even got a TV!", expecting some sort of hipster approval.

The technology market moves ridiculously fast these days. I work in the IT industry, as many thousands of people do, and it's certainly an advantage to keep abreast of the latest technologies.

There are people who insist on buying a new album on the day of release, or seeing a film, or wearing the latest fashion. How is this any different? It's because the ones with the new phones are easier to spot. And you stand there, getting madder and madder, thinking, "I'm better than these people! I don't have a TV, my laptop's six years old, and I'm wearing a puffy jacket and a pair of white denim jeans straight from the mid-nineties!".

Come on, Granddad, just leave them to it.

Most of those dont cost a months salary or more.

Wow. Talk about jumping to conclusions look at you Mr High and Mighty. Was I seeking approval? Was I claiming to be superior than anyone else? Was asking for my ego massaged? NO.

I am well aware about keeping up to date with the latest technology and I have a range of mod cons in my home and business premises. I understand that for SOME people particularly in an industry like yours it pays to keep up with the latest things.

HOWEVER..... Not everyone needs the latest thing the second comes out. Not everyone can genuinely afford the latest thing as soon as it comes out. BUT they are brainwashed by the media, advertising and more often than not peer pressure from others into killing themselves to get it. That's what I am against. Following the trend and then being pressured and pressured and pressued and pressued into having it right now, not a second longer because you just got to have it....... attitudes.

My point that you are clearly choosing to ignore is simple. We are talking about just 2 years here. 24 months 104 weeks. That's it. Its not a life sentence. Most companies let you upgrade a few months before the end anyway. Lets face it people have clothing longer than that. If someone of normal income bought a £500-£1000 designer dress would they really be getting rid of it after 10, 12, 18 months. How about a state of the art television or games console. Chopping it in after 6 months because the manufacturers have brought 2 other versions out?? NO. But somehow phones are different...... WHY?

If the thing cost £25 or maybe even £100 I might understand it. Its disposable. Its a commodity.

What I cannot understand is someone paying out £600 - £800 on an item either in a lump sum or instalments and then wanting rid of it in less than 24 months. I does not make sense and as most people's names dont end in Rooney or Beckham I find it even more worrying that people have that sort of disposal income to invest in something then want a new one within a few months.

Archived