Moped/Scooters - Novice needs info

Hello all

Looking for some information on something i know very little about!

I am hoping to get a more local job and not have to commute, and perhaps give the car a bit of a rest by buying a moped/scooter to get me to and from work.

I have a full UK driving license for over 4years, but do have a claim or two to my insurance.

What would i need to do to have a moped/scooter?

Does my driving license cover riding one of these (B, B1, f,k,p)? Do i have to take any other courses?

Total novice here that desperately needs some information!

Your full driving licence enables you to ride a moped without L.plates and without any tests,if you want a 125 bike you will have to take your c.b.t and display L.plates. Bike laws seem to change quite often so i wouldnt swear to it.

No, i have not ever been on benefits.

Apparently i would have to take a CBT though? As i got my license after feb'01.

But i will need to do that every two years as it expires...

I heard about the scheme from one of my neighbours who said that they were great and helped him get a job in mansfield (oh dear) by the scheme. Having to take your CBT is no bad thing is it ?

I heard about the scheme from one of my neighbours who said that they were great and helped him get a job in mansfield (oh dear) by the scheme. Having to take your CBT is no bad thing is it ?

Just more money and that it has an expiry date.

The CBT only lasts so long, then you either take a full motorcycle license test (which i don't really want/need) or you have to pay out and do the CBT again.

Would the moped then go on your insurance as driving car? As in, you would say you had been driving since however long you have as a car driver? Is that right?

Surely then you'd have to put any claims down also? Even though it was car and not moped?

Thanks.

I was just looking to get one of those lil mopeds that can only go 30mph or something!

There are one or two other considerations:

1. How far do you intend to commute? (And how many hills? ;)) - A 50cc 'ped might not really be adequate for the task.

2. Protective clothing - you need it! Both to keep the rain off and to keep your skin on. In the event that you come off the ped at 25mph (not very fast) then a pair of jeans will last for nearly half a second before they wear through. - After that, your flesh does the braking. Hands are even more spectacular! If you fall off, it's a natural reaction to put your hand out to stop you hitting the ground. Skin lasts for milliseconds. (Leather gloves are quite a good idea. ;))

You're probably going to need to spend 2-3 hundred quid on 'personal protection equipment' - so you should factor that into the cost. You may also need to consider whether you can wear your work clothes under the PPE, or whether they will have to be carried separately (or even left at work.)

I'm not trying to put you off - I've been riding bikes for most of my life - but commuting on a bike is not the same as commuting in a car.

As to taking the motorcycle test - I suggest that would be a good idea. (If you can't pass the bike test, is it really a good idea to ride a bike?)

You'll have to 'shop around' for insurance - but given that you're not a 16 year old and you're not talking about riding a superbike, it probably won't be too expensive.

A word of warning about buying small bikes: 50cc bikes are often bought initially by 16-year old riders, who are not noted for treating them carefully. :hihi: You may find that a second-hand 50cc bike has had a hard life.

My son had an Aprilia RS50 when he was 16. 30 mph top speed? - Yeah, right! :hihi: The service interval was very low - it needed a service every 1500 miles - and spare parts were expensive. It cost more to keep his RS50 on the road than it did to keep my BMW R1100 on the road.

My idea of an ideal commuting bike? - One of these. Unfortunately, they're no longer manufactured, but you might manage to pick up a second hand one.

You will need a full licence, it's not going to be as cheap as a ped, but you've got good weather protection and - thanks to the 4-point harness and roll bars - pretty good crash protection, too. (You have to wear a helmet in the UK [though not in most other countries].)

It might be cost-effective to commute by ped - provided there aren't too many hills. 5 miles is reasonable for a 50cc bike (though I wouldn't want to go much further than that on one every day) but there are other considerations.

Assuming you've got a helmet, [good] gloves, waterproof (and abrasion-resistant) clothing (you don't need racing leathers, but it is a good idea to have something a bit tougher than ordinary clothing) then 'the weather' will probably be the biggest single problem.

Commuting on 2 wheels is fine in good weather, but when it's raining, you might not be so keen on doing it.

Archived