Clegg humiliated..again!

I was under the impression labour wanted Lords reform, any idea why they changed their mind.

They didn't. They voted against the restriction on time alloted to debate the substance of the policy. Parliament is supposed debate the substance, particularly with huge constitutional changes. Restricting debate leads to bad legislation.

They haven't. They just want it done properly and not railroaded through.

If I was cynical I'd say that LibDems holding 15 year seats in the lords gives them some potential hooks on power that they might not have in the commons in coming years. Especially after their numbers in the commons are severely restricted after the next election.

But they’ve been discussing it for years and by now they must have plenty of ideas on how to reform it, 10 days to of debate to come to a final decision is more than enough time to.

But they’ve been discussing it for years and by now they must have plenty of ideas on how to reform it, 10 days to of debate to come to a final decision is more than enough time to.

I suspect that the Tories got exactly what they wanted. They didn't want the reforms, that was Labour's baby. The Tories were forced into this vote by the LDs. They gave it just enough support to ensure they showed willing but to ensure the motion was defeated. They have to thank Labour for their help in chucking out the ammendments, without it the bill could have got through.

They didn't. They voted against the restriction on time alloted to debate the substance of the policy. Parliament is supposed debate the substance, particularly with huge constitutional changes. Restricting debate leads to bad legislation.

Agree 100% with that. Too much legislation is rushed through with bad consequences at the moment. That alone is enough to welcome MP's voting against this.

Agree 100% with that. Too much legislation is rushed through with bad consequences at the moment. That alone is enough to welcome MP's voting against this.

It was probably put in by the tories as a sucker punch to stop Labour MPs voting for it. It sounds like they caught them hook line and sinker.

Archived