Supermarket rants

...I like veg to be completely fresh...

Don't we all. According to a Morrisons spokesman, the company is importing some vegetables from California (because they aren't available from suppliers closer to the UK.) I expect those vegetables are flown in, but even so, the time from field to supermarket is unlikely to be short.

Perhaps if you want fresh veg, you need to buy them locally?

It's the buy 2 for £x that irritate me. I was in Asda the other day, and they were selling fresh bread with a buy 2 for whatever price, which was actually a good buy. But I knew if I bought 2, one of them would end up being bin fodder. I knew I didn't have room in my freezer to fit the spare one in there. So I had to pay the artificially inflated price for just one of them. It's really irritating.

Is the price of a single loaf 'artificially inflated' or is that of the second loaf 'artificially reduced'?

(I wonder what your local baker would say?)

Supermarkets have been offering 'loss leaders' and bulk-buy discounts since they first opened their doors.

It is indeed frustrating to pay more in supermarkets per unit or per gm for single-portion packages, but that's life. Unfortunately packaging and some of the retailing costs (handling, accounting, storage, shelving) are comparatively greater for smaller items than for items in bulk.

There's an alternative: Shop at your local grocer/greengrocer/butcher and baker. Buy only the quantities you need.

You'll probably get good service and high-quality goods. - But you probably won't get supermarket prices.

Is the price of a single loaf 'artificially inflated' or is that of the second loaf 'artificially reduced'?

(I wonder what your local baker would say?)

There's an alternative: Shop at your local grocer/greengrocer/butcher and baker. Buy only the quantities you need.

You'll probably get good service and high-quality goods. - But you probably won't get supermarket prices.

I do believe the price of the single item is artificially inflated, because the logic, goes "Well it's only a few bob more to have the second one"

Unfortunately, local shops from where I live are a fair way away, whereas the supermarket is practically on the doorstep, so I tend to go there for most things except meat.

I used to live in a small village / town, where local shops were all a stones throw away, and I would always use those in preference to supermarkets, even though I paid slightly more. I felt it was a bit more ethical.

FYI I moaned to TESCO and got this response:

Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the selection of loose fresh vegetables that we stock in our stores. I can understand why you are disappointed.

We try to stock a range of pre-packed and loose vegetables, in line with the demand of our customers. Based on customer feedback, we have established that the majority of our customers prefer their products to be pre-packed, prepared and ready to eat/cook. The packaging process also keeps the products fresher for longer.

In addition to this, we also stock a variety of loose vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli and onions.

Due to the amount of Tesco stores across the country, we have a number of different suppliers that supply our fresh vegetables. There is a huge amount of vegetables processed on daily basis and the process of transporting the produce is a lot more efficient when the product has been pre-packed. This also allows us to deliver targeted amounts of the product to individual stores, in order to minimise wastage. Pre-packed products also allow the stores to conveniently carry out date checking to ensure nothing is on sale passed its use by date.

I appreciate that some of these portions may be too large for an individual person, but it is possible to freeze these products to retain their freshness, which allows them to be cooked at a later date.

I have logged your comments in our customer complaint database so that our buying team are aware. However it is unlikely that our current method of stocking of fresh vegetables is likely to change in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and provide your thoughts on this matter.

Kind Regards

Tesco Customer Service

That reads to me as "You'd probably find that your local greengrocer can deal with your requirements better, as we don't especially give a damn about your issues".

Stick your carrots in the fridge and they'll usually last for a couple of weeks minimum.

jb

The way i store food is down to habit,but i do sometimes put them in the fridge when i have had to buy them in a pack,but its still too many,for instance one medium size carrot is enough for my taste with an other portion of veg.When i buy fresh veg its usually for the same day meal or the next because i don't have to cook every day like i used to.

They're isn't anywhere to buy locally in my area,so i don't have a choice.

Archived