Supermarket rants

I do believe the price of the single item is artificially inflated, because the logic, goes "Well it's only a few bob more to have the second one"

Unfortunately its common practice at supermarkets to artificially inflate the start prices for a few weeks. That way they can comply with the law when its reduced and then say it was previously on display at a higher price.

Wine is a classic example where the original price may have been overinflated to £7.99 for a bottle and then it gets reduced to a half price offer of £3.99. The truth is its basically only worth £3.99 in the first place and according to some wine experts that may even be overpriced.

At least its not like "the good old days" when retail prices were fixed and no matter where you shopped the price was always the same.

Unfortunately its common practice at supermarkets to artificially inflate the start prices for a few weeks. That way they can comply with the law when its reduced and then say it was previously on display at a higher price.

TESCO & Co-op are very good at this. Quite often their cheapo brand smoked salmon is 'half price' at £3 / 100g. If it was ever £6/100g this is more expensive than the best smoked salmon that Waitrose stock.

Wine is a classic example where the original price may have been overinflated to £7.99 for a bottle and then it gets reduced to a half price offer of £3.99. The truth is its basically only worth £3.99 in the first place and according to some wine experts that may even be overpriced.

At least its not like "the good old days" when retail prices were fixed and no matter where you shopped the price was always the same.

I really don't understand people falling for the 'half price' con when avoiding it is so easy. Look at what you are buying, look at the price. If the item is worth that price to you buy it if not replace it on the shelf.

The other major con is reducing pack size, not only in the branded items such as your biscuits and chocolate bars, but especially in the pre packed fruit and vegetables. I can buy a pack of carrots for £1, whoopee! but wait how big is the pack?

There was a radio programme about a successful local grocer in London. In it he had to point out to a customer that although his strawberries cost £4.95 compared to the supemarkets £4.25 his packs were twice the size.

The problem with shopping locally is often car parking. If a supermarmket applies for planning permission for a car park it is almost always granted, the reverse is true when small shop owners petition for the same thing.

I really don't understand people falling for the 'half price' con when avoiding it is so easy. Look at what you are buying, look at the price. If the item is worth that price to you buy it if not replace it on the shelf.

The other major con is reducing pack size, not only in the branded items such as your biscuits and chocolate bars, but especially in the pre packed fruit and vegetables. I can buy a pack of carrots for £1, whoopee! but wait how big is the pack?

There was a radio programme about a successful local grocer in London. In it he had to point out to a customer that although his strawberries cost £4.95 compared to the supemarkets £4.25 his packs were twice the size.

The problem with shopping locally is often car parking. If a supermarmket applies for planning permission for a car park it is almost always granted, the reverse is true when small shop owners petition for the same thing.

A radio programme also recently highlighted the practice of sending smaller than advertised (and paid for) items when you get home delivery.

I don't know about Tesco,but i agree.Since living on my own i'm always having to throw stuff away.I like veg to be completely fresh.They didn't have any loose carrots left in Morrisons again the other day,just those in big packages.I asked the boy who was stacking shelves if he could open one of them,he said he wasn't allowed.I also had to buy a big heavy bag of potatoes too,its ridiculous.

Hi janie48. I am really surprised by this. I live with my little boy (who doesn't exactly eat masses) so, in terms of food, it is like living alone, and I don't have to throw anything away. This is not a 'judgement' call, I am just curious as to whether there is anywhere near you which sells loose items rather than packs. Are there any little greengrocers nearby? I really splash my shopping round. Yes, it does mean that I have to visit the shop more often, but, it's not far, and it means the items are always fresh.

Do you have any friends with whom you can share certain items eg if they have an offer on if you buy two, can you buy two and sell one to a family member or friend (thus saving them money)? I do this with my mum, sometimes, if she needs certain things.

I used to go out of my way to a cheaper supermarket than those near me, so, I don't look for convenience....although, I have just discovered the amazing thing that is ASDA delivery. What I pay for delivery, is not much more than it would cost me in petrol, and the savings I make for shopping there are immense.....so, for me, it pays to have it delivered (although this is, for the most part, staple items which won't go off after a couple of days). I like ASDA, as well, because of their policy re animal testing. Big fan!

It's the buy 2 for £x that irritate me. I was in Asda the other day, and they were selling fresh bread with a buy 2 for whatever price, which was actually a good buy. But I knew if I bought 2, one of them would end up being bin fodder. I knew I didn't have room in my freezer to fit the spare one in there. So I had to pay the artificially inflated price for just one of them. It's really irritating.

Just give it to a neighbour or local friend/family. They might even invite you round to Sunday dinner.

The best way to buy fruit and veg if you are on your own is at an independant greengrocer, buy as much or as little as you need then no waste!

This is absolutely correct. Except that some people on this thread have already said that they don't have a 'local' independant greengrocer, or butcher, or whatever. In my case the supermarket is a couple of hundered yards away. The nearest 'real' independant greengrocer is a car drive away.

Hi janie48. I am really surprised by this. I live with my little boy (who doesn't exactly eat masses) so, in terms of food, it is like living alone, and I don't have to throw anything away. This is not a 'judgement' call, I am just curious as to whether there is anywhere near you which sells loose items rather than packs. Are there any little greengrocers nearby? I really splash my shopping round. Yes, it does mean that I have to visit the shop more often, but, it's not far, and it means the items are always fresh.

Do you have any friends with whom you can share certain items eg if they have an offer on if you buy two, can you buy two and sell one to a family member or friend (thus saving them money)? I do this with my mum, sometimes, if she needs certain things.

I used to go out of my way to a cheaper supermarket than those near me, so, I don't look for convenience....although, I have just discovered the amazing thing that is ASDA delivery. What I pay for delivery, is not much more than it would cost me in petrol, and the savings I make for shopping there are immense.....so, for me, it pays to have it delivered (although this is, for the most part, staple items which won't go off after a couple of days). I like ASDA, as well, because of their policy re animal testing. Big fan!

Thankyou for the advice Babooshka.Actually getting to the supermarkets isn't really a problem,the delivery service sounds ideal for any one that requires it though. It was really the veg issue i was moaning about,but its just on the odd occasion i am never without frozen veg in the freezer as a substitute.

Yes i like Asda too, the staff there are always polite,they train them well.

Can't resist one last moan though,i was at the Chapeltown Asda store today,and the delicatessen section isn't available now where you could have nice cooked meat weighed,now its all pre packed. :rant:

Archived