Will the government be guilty of grave robbing?

I hear on the news today that the latest tinpot idea for dealing with the increase in people needing to go into care homes in their old age, is for them to have a government loan, to pay for the care (although at this point they have no idea where that money will come from). Then when the person dies, their homes / assets will be used to pay off that loan with interest! :suspect:

In my view this idea is tantamount to 'grave robbing'. It's even worse than making them sell up prior to going into 'care'.

An awful lot of older people have 'assetts' which they would like to pass on to their children / grandchildren etc.

Over to you!

I hear on the news today that the latest tinpot idea for dealing with the increase in people needing to go into care homes in their old age, is for them to have a government loan, to pay for the care (although at this point they have no idea where that money will come from). Then when the person dies, their homes / assets will be used to pay off that loan with interest! :suspect:

In my view this idea is tantamount to 'grave robbing'. It's even worse than making them sell up prior to going into 'care'.

An awful lot of older people have 'assetts' which they would like to pass on to their children / grandchildren etc.

Over to you!

If the old persons retains their house it could achieve a rental income to help subsidise the care they need and then when they die the loan will be paid back hopefully leaving some value to their children. If it’s sold to fund the care before they die, it won't benefit from the rental income or the increase in value it may achieve.

Basic care should either be free to all or free to no one.

If the old persons retains their house it could achieve a rental income to help subsidise the care they need and then when they die the loan will be paid back hopefully leaving some value to their children. If it’s sold to fund the care before they die, it won't benefit from the rental income or the increase in value it may achieve.

Basic care should either be free to all or free to no one.

Yep, I'll concede you have a valid point there!

Having said that, I wonder how feasible renting an old persons house would be. I mean for the old person. It's a positive minefield and probably not one an older person could organise. Yes the children could probably arrange it, but somehow, it just doesn't ... oh how can I put this?...'sit right'?

We have to fund the tax cuts and dodges for the super rich somehow.

To be fair - some of who are those inheriting very large properties from their parents while expecting their care to be paid for my others.

I would much rather my parents received the best care that money could pay for (if I weren't in a position to provide it myself) than receive £xxxxxxxxx when they die.

Perhaps - eventually - people will be expected to put money aside for the specific purpose of providing for care in old age. (As they already do in Germany, where the money paid into that particular 'pot' is ring-fenced and used only to pay for care in old age.)

In the meantime, if the state runs out of money (and it doesn't appear to be exactly 'flush') then either the older people will have to sell-off their assets to pay for care in old age (in which cast the children won't inherit as much as they might otherwise have done) or the children will have to look after their parents (and inherit the parents' house etc.)

Some of today's pensioners may not be particularly affluent, but the outlook for younger people with children isn't particularly attractive, either. It appears that they will be expected to fund their own retirement, together with that of their parents.

The UK does not use 'allocated funding' (which, IMO is a serious flaw.) If the funds paid into an account - be it healthcare, care in old age, unemployment benefit, other welfare benefits, pensions, etc - were clearly identified, then it would be easy for anybody to see where the funding shortages lie.

The UK population is increasing annually (and the figures for that are readily available) but the figures for increase/decrease in the amount of money paid into the government are a little more difficult to obtain. The figures for the increase/decrease in the amounts paid out in various benefits (including state pensions) are not readily available, either.

We know there are problems - the government tell us that there are problems - but for some strange reason, they seem to be very reluctant to identify (and quantify) the problems clearly.

I wonder whether that's because they can't do the sums or whether they would be embarrassed if the voters found out just how incompetent they really are?

Over to you!

Don't tell me, you feel you may be affected by this? Why is it that I feel the majority of people are not bothered about changes to policy until it affects them?

Don't tell me, you feel you may be affected by this? Why is it that I feel the majority of people are not bothered about changes to policy until it affects them?

Ummm, actually no. At least not in the short term. I don't have bundles of assetts to worry about passing on either, and it's a long way away for me!

Why?

Just another scam the banks thought up, brilliant!

The never ending process of working out how to screw the majority, for the sake of the few, while telling them they should be grateful.

#

Shame the banks have taken all the money, pensions plundered of course through clever investments that wern't of course. Its a full time job thinking how to rob people without them realising it.

Most of the "CRUSTIES" have worked all their life, many started work at 14, worked till retirement contributing to a welfare state that the parasitic banks plundered, and continue to, as too tempting to ignore.

Just work it out regarding Barkleys own Diamond Geezer, who has already been paid over 100 million, given up 20 million, gets this years pay of 2 million, from an organisation that produces nothing whatsoever. Who pays for thier plush cathedrals? Seen how expensive their banks and offices are? WHere does the money come from? Ever wondered? Well its through swindling of course or to put it another way investments, and Jo Pubiic are the suckers that pay for everythign either directly or indirectly?

Archived