Will the government be guilty of grave robbing?

My take on this is the exclusion of this service or that service. A case in point, which is loosly related 'Dental Care'... Why is it that dental care is any different from say cancer care? Why is there a special case for dental care? And please don't anyone tell me it's free, cos it's not, even NHS treatment. Its a special case and I don't know why that is!

Part of the reason is that you can actually look after your own teeth.

The NHS stopped being 100% free at the point of need, about eighteen months after it was created; the man responsible was the same man who created it, Nye Bevan. Even he had to admit that it was an impossible dream.

Part of the reason is that you can actually look after your own teeth.

The NHS stopped being 100% free at the point of need, about eighteen months after it was created; the man responsible was the same man who created it, Nye Bevan. Even he had to admit that it was an impossible dream.

Oh? You've never needed any checkups or a filling or an extraction? Lucky you! Or do you do your own?

Dental care is healthcare whichever way you look at it!

Oh? You've never needed any checkups or a filling or an extraction? Lucky you! Or do you do your own?

Personally, I don't look after my teeth very well. The argument behind it, though, is that people who do so, invariably need less dental care than people (like me) who don't.

I'm not saying I support that argument, just explaining what it is. You'd have to ask Bevan himself why he selected dental care (among a few other things) to be taken out of the "free at the point of need" provision - but you can't, because he's dead.

Dental care is healthcare whichever way you look at it!

Dental care is a service provided outside the NHS - decided by the dentists. If you want it you pay for it. Just like eye care and spectacles.

Dental care is a service provided outside the NHS - decided by the dentists. If you want it you pay for it. Just like eye care and spectacles.

Crikey, that's news to me. Yes I know there are private dentists.

Dental care is healthcare in my book. It's just treated as a special case by the NHS. Healthcare is 'healthcare', whether it be cancer, dental, or care for the elderly.

Crikey, that's news to me. Yes I know there are private dentists.

Dental care is healthcare in my book. It's just treated as a special case by the NHS. Healthcare is 'healthcare', whether it be cancer, dental, or care for the elderly.

Dental services aren't free, so imho thats outside the NHS.

My take on this is the exclusion of this service or that service. A case in point, which is loosly related 'Dental Care'... Why is it that dental care is any different from say cancer care? Why is there a special case for dental care? And please don't anyone tell me it's free, cos it's not, even NHS treatment. Its a special case and I don't know why that is!

Successive governments of whatever persuassion have known there was a ticking time bomb with elderly care requirements, cos the ol' buggers are hanging around longer than they used to. They've known this for years... donkeys years, yet 'chosen' to ignore the problem and bury their heads in the sand.

If you've got the money to pay for your own care, the chances are, you'll probably do that anyway, regardless of anything else.

I'm talking about those that don't have huge pensions, don't have money stashed here there and everywhere. All they've got is the bricks and mortar they have worked all their lives for. So that's taken from them to pay for their care. Something which via taxation they have probably already paid for many times over during their life.

It's just a graverobbing exercise cos the govenrnment can't think how else to fund it now because for years they have ignored the problem hoping it will go away!

If they have little money and only have money invested in property, a property they no longer need, then it's only right that the property is used to fund their care in a home.

Alternatively, what other options are they? I am guessing you won't mind being taxed to the hilt to fund free care home places.

Another way to look it is the obscene amounts some of these nursing homes charge, £100 a night as just shown on the news is ridiculous. I remember about 20 years ago a large hotel in Sheffield closing and becoming a nursing home because there was more money to be made.

Archived