Will the government be guilty of grave robbing?

The amount I pay into the system, if I don't take some out when I am old I will be the big loser, told you have to think it though

Your version of thinking it through seems to be to milk the system in exactly the same way you're complaining others do.

A total hypocrite. You have no credibility.

Well I suppose it wouldn't be the Sheffield Forum without 'the Government' getting the blame.

As ever, it's the politicians who are to blame for this. When the Welfare State was set up, the NI contribution was meant to include an element of insurance towards care when people get old. As ever, the politicians - all of them - have chosen to dip into this money to waste on their lunatic schemes (remember when the 'Road Fund Licence' was meant to provide for maintaining and upgrading roads? Same thing.)

So, unless Labour have had a chance to deal with this in the 75 years since the Welfare State was introduced - they have and they didn't - it's the same old.

Cost to provide decent care for the old where it doesn't involve selling their house? £1.7 Billion (or a soon-to-be derelict Olympic velodrome).

Money wasted, ring-fenced and rising on Overseas Aid. £8 Billion. Every year.

Archived