What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

• The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Bear'
    • The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Gear'
    • Either one is fine
    • I sometimes pronounce it to rhyme with 'Bear' to not sound as common
    • I pronounce it to rhyme with 'Gear' regardless of what anyone thinks

If there isn't a right or wrong way to pronounce it, would you also say that there isn't a right or wrong social setting where one is preferable to the other?

If you're Sheffield born and bred, then your way of pronouncing it is correct for you, regardless of social setting.

Supposing you were invited to the Queens Garden Party? Would you all of a sudden try to lose your Sheffield accent to have a brief 'chat' with her? Of course not. Your accent is part of 'you'. You might want to curb any swearing in front of the queen, but you wouldn't try to talk any different, cos you might end up making a complete hash of it, and sounding like a complete arse!

If you're Sheffield born and bred, then your way of pronouncing it is correct for you, regardless of social setting.

Supposing you were invited to the Queens Garden Party? Would you all of a sudden try to lose your Sheffield accent to have a brief 'chat' with her? Of course not. Your accent is part of 'you'. You might want to curb any swearing in front of the queen, but you wouldn't try to talk any different, cos you might end up making a complete hash of it, and sounding like a complete arse!

Would you address the Queen as "dee ahreet duck"?

Off with that mans head I say.

If you pronounce it as "bear" that is neither right or wrong. It's certainly incorrect though.
It's just occurred to me that I often use both during one sentence.. EXAMPLE: There (as in bear) is a parking space over there (as in gear). So you're saying that the latter is incorrect but not wrong. Nor is it right? Now you're confusing me.

Originally posted by skinz

I'm not sure social settings plays a part in preferences...unless I read you wrong.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm fairly sure some people, like myself, who pronounce it as 'Gear' can often be in situations where they feel they ought to pronounce it as 'Bear' simply because they consider their usual pronunciation too common for the social setting they're attending. Am I on my own here?

Would you address the Queen as "dee ahreet duck"?

Off with that mans head I say.

Ummmm...Possibly not! If I was being pedantic, that wouldn't be etiqette to address the queen in that manner.

Here's the accepted manner.

Upon being introduced to The Queen, and on leaving, a bow or curtsy is made.

•The bow is an inclination of the head, not from the waist.

•The curtsy should be a discreet but dignified bob.

In conversation, address The Queen as 'Your Majesty', and subsequently 'Ma'am' (to rhyme with Pam).

When conversing with The Queen, substitute 'Your Majesty' for 'you'.

When introducing another person to The Queen, simply state the name of the person to be introduced:

'May I present Mr John Smith, Your Majesty?'

But I'm not being pedantic...Honest! :hihi:

Just as long as she cut the swearing out as well lol, good point though never put on airs & graces no matter where you go. You are what you are, some are just a bit rougher round the edges, ovver thear :)

It's just occurred to me that I often use both during one sentence.. EXAMPLE: There (as in bear) is a parking space over there (as in gear). So you're saying that the latter is incorrect but not wrong. Nor is it right? Now you're confusing me.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm fairly sure some people, like myself, who pronounce it as 'Gear' can often be in situations where they feel they ought to pronounce it as 'Bear' simply because they consider their usual pronunciation too common for the social setting they're attending. Am I on my own here?

You're probably right but on a personal level I don't have that issue..I pretty much don't have an accent so I don't compete with myself on a conscious level socially. So no I don't think you're on your own, but I'm not really in a position to comment other than the correct/incorrect pronunciation of the word.

It's supposed to rhyme with bear.

I was born in Sheffield and have always lived here with parents who would rhyme it with gear, I just never picked it up.

Maybe it's because it always annoyed the hell out of me and it makes those who rhyme it with gear sound thick.

It's supposed to rhyme with bear.

I was born in Sheffield and have always lived here with parents who would rhyme it with gear, I just never picked it up.

Maybe it's because it always annoyed the hell out of me and it makes those who rhyme it with gear sound thick.

So being a Yorkshireman makes you thick, what made you a ten bob millionaire numpty.

So being a Yorkshireman makes you thick, what made you a ten bob millionaire numpty.

Not pronouncing it properly makes you sound thick, maybe you're not thick, but if you're going to pronounce words wrong then you're going to sound thick.

And why does wanting to pronounce words right make me a ten bob millionaire?

See this is the reason people don't like Yorkshiremen, stuck in the pask, stubborn.

Archived