What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

• The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Bear'
    • The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Gear'
    • Either one is fine
    • I sometimes pronounce it to rhyme with 'Bear' to not sound as common
    • I pronounce it to rhyme with 'Gear' regardless of what anyone thinks

It's supposed to rhyme with bear.

I was born in Sheffield and have always lived here with parents who would rhyme it with gear, I just never picked it up.

Maybe it's because it always annoyed the hell out of me and it makes those who rhyme it with gear sound thick.

You could have a point but in reality most that use the pronunciation were probably raised with it and probably didn't have the "bear" alternative as a guideline to help them out of what you see as theeyr perceived thickyness.

In all honesty I very rarely hear it now unless I stray into the Northern part of Sheffield.

Just as long as she cut the swearing out as well lol, good point though never put on airs & graces no matter where you go. You are what you are, some are just a bit rougher round the edges, ovver thear :)

I'll have a word with Phil and tell him to have a diplomatic 'word' with her.

Phil and diplomacy? Hmmmm...not sure that goes together in the same sentence! :suspect:

You could have a point but in reality most that use the pronunciation were probably raised with it and probably didn't have the "bear" alternative as a guideline to help them out of what you see as theeyr perceived thickyness.

In all honesty I very rarely hear it now unless I stray into the Northern part of Sheffield.

I see what you mean, I don't find it odd that the older people still use it, but it's almost exclusively older people and pikeys on the dole. In my experience anyway.

Why is this pronunciation so popular amongst people without jobs?

I see what you mean, I don't find it odd that the older people still use it, but it's almost exclusively older people and pikeys on the dole. In my experience anyway.

Eh? Almost everyone I work with (and yes they all have jobs and their not old codgers), uses the 'gear' pronunciation, except me. :huh:

Not pronouncing it properly makes you sound thick, maybe you're not thick, but if you're going to pronounce words wrong then you're going to sound thick.

And why does wanting to pronounce words right make me a ten bob millionaire?

See this is the reason people don't like Yorkshiremen, stuck in the pask, stubborn.

Just answer me; who don't like Yorkshiremen?, plus why does having an accent make you stubborn & stuck in the past. People cannot help the way we pronounce words it's what we do, I was brought up to respect my elders, mind my P's & Q's, but NEVER be ashamed of where you are from.

Your post makes 2 things stand out 1; you don't like it up here, 2. You are ashamed of your parents for saying "thear". You certainly are pretentious & have ideas well above your station, and feel that you are better than everyone, regarding them as "plebs" probably.

Do you write your posts or does your butler normally do it, for you :)

People from all walks of life are without jobs. So what does employment status matter.

That's more than likely because it's a fallacy or stereotypical.

Danot for instance may come over as a trite insecure as to how he is perceived verbally but certainly not uneducated.

Pigeon holing a set of people based on speech, race, upbringing or whatever, could be ultimately dangerous.

It's just occurred to me that I often use both during one sentence.. EXAMPLE: There (as in bear) is a parking space over there (as in gear). So you're saying that the latter is incorrect but not wrong. Nor is it right? Now you're confusing me.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm fairly sure some people, like myself, who pronounce it as 'Gear' can often be in situations where they feel they ought to pronounce it as 'Bear' simply because they consider their usual pronunciation too common for the social setting they're attending. Am I on my own here?

Nay danot, it should be, thi's ( z ) a parking space o'er thear (as in gear)

Sheffield Dialect 1839

All to often during debates on SF, a special constable from the Sheffield forum grammar police force will make a sarcastic comment about the poor grammar in another's post, which usually results tit-for-tatting throughout the duration of the thread. Anyhow, due to their profound knowledge and special training in the area of English grammar, I was wondering if one of them could assist me in determining what the correct pronunciation of 'THERE' is.

Now, as a born and bred Sheffielder, I pronounce it so it rhymes with 'gear', whereas some might consider that to sound too common and pronounce it so it rhymes with 'bear'.

So if there is any of you that can assist me in determining which is the correct(or preferable)pronunciation of it , I'd be most grateful.

PS. Apologies in advance for poor grammar and spelling errors.

This should solve your problem.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/There

Archived