What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

• The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Bear'
    • The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Gear'
    • Either one is fine
    • I sometimes pronounce it to rhyme with 'Bear' to not sound as common
    • I pronounce it to rhyme with 'Gear' regardless of what anyone thinks

Actually, now I think about it, you're right.

'Thiz a parkin space or thear'. :P

Unless you're forumasaurus then its "excuse me old bean, one can see that there's a space over there, where you can park your vehicular mode of transport".

All to often during debates on SF, a special constable from the Sheffield forum grammar police force will make a sarcastic comment about the poor grammar in another's post, which usually results tit-for-tatting throughout the duration of the thread. Anyhow, due to their profound knowledge and special training in the area of English grammar, I was wondering if one of them could assist me in determining what the correct pronunciation of 'THERE' is.

Who is this special constable? :suspect:

I hope they don't notice how often i get the there/they're and your/you're wrong when i type,and you can't get much posher then me.

Who is this special constable? :suspect:

I hope they don't notice how often i get the there/they're and your/you're wrong when i type,and you can't get much posher then me.

Pfft. We're talking posh posh, not wag posh.

Received pronunciation (ie. the correct form) is 'there,' to rhyme with bear.

Might be interesting to start a thread on whether the way you speak matters these days.

I've always thought of Received pronunciation as the benchmark, too.

I think although you can understand people who pronounce things wrong a lot of the time, you've got to ask yourself the impression people are going to have on you if you talk a certain way.

People don't like it, but you're judged firstly on your looks, and secondly by the way you speak. The way you speak matters because most of us care about the impression left by us upon other people.

Archived