What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

• The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Bear'
    • The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Gear'
    • Either one is fine
    • I sometimes pronounce it to rhyme with 'Bear' to not sound as common
    • I pronounce it to rhyme with 'Gear' regardless of what anyone thinks

I'm not saying all people on the dole are underclass. What I'm talking about is the people who've been on it for years, who's whole family is on it, and they've clearly got no intention of finding a job. That is underclass.

And I'm not going to apologise for thinking those people are scumbags.

Well you should chose your words just a bit more carefully, it is wrong to pigeon hole everyone you know. I agree with you on the ones that won't work, or look for it but, not to the point of underclass, not everyone is of that ilk.

Click the button on the flags and you will hear the USA and English pronouciation. It won't be a sheffield accent though.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/There

Now I follow you. Yeah, thanks for that.

I understand and accept that from a professional and/or educational stand point they pronounce it so it rhymes with 'Bear' , but some might ask- 'Why don'y they pronounce 'HERE' so it rhymes with 'Bear' also'? Does the addition of the 'T' dictate that they shouldn't or something? What are the rules?(assuming there are rules)

The way people talk is actually a very contraversial subject.

When I was at school in the 50s and 60s, we had to speak correctly. We even had elocution and public speaking competitions to build confidence.

When I trained to be a teacher in the 80s, language was a very hot potato. We were told always to accept that some people speak with a heavy regional accent or dialect, and not to correct them. Their's was as much the English language as any other form.

I went along with it but now, after many years, I think that's wrong. If you speak grammatically, you'll find it a lot easier to write grammatically and to spell. I love some accents, (especially Geordie,) but the number one rule about speaking is it has to convey a message that others can understand. If it doesn't communicate meaning it has no point.

I'd like to say that it's perfectly alright to talk one way to friends, and another way to others, as appropriate, but too many kids nowadays seem to talk in a kind of patois and are unable to talk any other way. There's no doubt that this will hold them back in the jobs market.

The way people talk is actually a very contraversial subject.

When I was at school in the 50s and 60s, we had to speak correctly. We even had elocution and public speaking competitions to build confidence.

When I trained to be a teacher in the 80s, language was a very hot potato. We were told always to accept that some people speak with a heavy regional accent or dialect, and not to correct them. Their's was as much the English language as any other form.

I went along with it but now, after many years, I think that's wrong. If you speak grammatically, you'll find it a lot easier to write grammatically and to spell. I love some accents, (especially Geordie,) but the number one rule about speaking is it has to convey a message that others can understand. If it doesn't communicate meaning it has no point.

I'd like to say that it's perfectly alright to talk one way to friends, and another way to others, as appropriate, but too many kids nowadays seem to talk in a kind of patois and are unable to talk any other way. There's no doubt that this will hold them back in the jobs market.

I also went to school in the 50s/60s. My classmates came from all sorts of backgrounds, some used local dialect with strong Scottish accents. However, we were all expected to speak correctly in class. We had to read out loud and were corrected for mispronunciation. I'm fairly sure some of my old classmates will be glad they knew how to speak when they were building their careers. ;)

I wish children had continued to be educated about appropriate speech. Especially as so many more jobs now depend on personal skills.

For me, it'll always rhyme with 'bear' and 'fair'.

Archived