What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct pronunciation of 'THERE'?

• The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Bear'
    • The correct pronunciation should rhyme with 'Gear'
    • Either one is fine
    • I sometimes pronounce it to rhyme with 'Bear' to not sound as common
    • I pronounce it to rhyme with 'Gear' regardless of what anyone thinks

But why do you think that? Is it because it's the way you were taught to pronounce it? Is it just down to personal preference? Could it be because you're conscious about how people would perceive you if you pronounced it as 'theer?

Also. How do you pronounce 'HERE'? Do you pronounce it as Heer,(as in 'ear') or do you pronounce it so it also rhymes with 'bear'?

Because this is what I find strange about this 'THERE' pronunciation thing.

I suspect that 99% of us know that 'THEIR' is meant to be pronounced so it rhymes with 'bear', even someone with the broadest of accents would know to pronounce it that way, but the word 'THERE' is just 'HERE'(as in ear) with a 'T' placed in front of it. So what is it that dictates that by placing a 'T' in front of 'HERE'(as in 'ear'), the pronunciation of it alters so it rhymes with 'bear'?

I've never pronounced 'there' any other way than to rhyme with where'. ;)

The English language is full of words that look as if they should sound the same but don't, for example cough; bough; through.

Archived