Boiled Sweet Factory Nr Norfolk Park Flats

koritsi

There was a boiled sweet factory in a little stone cottage-y place halfway up Shrewsbury Road, underneath the shadow of the Claywood flats, near Park Hill..

Is that the one you are thinking of?

it got refurbished a couple of years ago, looks quite smart.

I believe it's offices or something now, (not residential)

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

There was a boiled sweet factory in a little stone cottage-y place halfway up Shrewsbury Road, underneath the shadow of the Claywood flats, near Park Hill..

Is that the one you are thinking of?

it got refurbished a couple of years ago, looks quite smart.

I believe it's offices or something now, (not residential)

PT

That's the one, Thanks! :)

My memory aint what it used to be :(

What a shame it ceases to be :(

I'm glad this question of 'spice' factories came up because I remember a small one down an alley running between Howard Street and Charles Street. I was working on the roof of a building overlooking the alley and this little factory, you could hardly call it that, was in the backyard of some buildings across the way. They had three big shiny copper vats, out in the yard, full of stuff that smelled great. I never actually saw them pouring the stuff, but I could see inside the building at what appeared to be Peardrops and Humbugs of some kind set out on racks.

This would be around 1949-50 or so, they wouldn't allow it nowadays.

we used to live in claywood flats when i was a babe

when i got older we used to walk down to the spice factory for a bag of bits ..... for free

i believe the grandchildren of one of the guys that worked lived on the flats .....................

simon and sister joanne

bringing back memories now :P

Originally posted by louisbourg

we used to live in claywood flats when i was a babe

when i got older we used to walk down to the spice factory for a bag of bits ..... for free

i

JOY of JOYS!!! :hihi:

Can't believe I missed out there.........:(

Archived