Islamic Clerics Call on Egypt to Destroy Great Pyramids

what happened is that some idiot cleric a thousand miles away in Bahrain mouthed off on air.

big deal. Nothing to do with Egypt, Muslim Brotherhood included.

Being a regular visitor to Egypt, I tend to agree with you although stories like this create mass hysteria and have a profound affect on their(Egyptian)tourism.

Since the riots in Tahire Square, tourism in the Whole of Egypt is down by at least a third.

what happened is that some idiot cleric a thousand miles away in Bahrain mouthed off on air.

big deal. Nothing to do with Egypt, Muslim Brotherhood included.

I don't think he even did that, it was just some Daily Mash satirical hoax. It's believable because you can imagine some nutjob actually saying it, and there is a bit of form in Timbuktu and other heritage sites throughout history. It's also quite funny.

It won't stop the idiots reporting it as truth, and trying to link it to the Muslim Brotherhood though.

It won't stop other idiots reporting it as deliberate Western lies, or some Jewish conspiracy, either.

I'm sorry but this Arab Spring, as it's been coined, is the road to disaster. They all purportedly want democracy, but each tribe or sect only want that for themselves, they don't want to share it with their neighbour or next tribe. Some places in the world need to ruled with not so much a dictator, but someone very strong who can keep the factions from destroying one another.

You only have to look at Libya, Syria, Egypt and probably a few others. Basically it's every tribe for himself, and slowly but surely, they will descend into civil war and spend a lifetime killing one another in search of 'their' brand of democracy which is never going to happen.

I suppose there is the school of thought whereby, if they're killing one another then that detract from their mission to want to kill us lot!

It will all end in tears for them, and probably us too!

As for destroying the pyramids, that would be pure lunacy, but nothing I don't think they're capable of in some kind of lunatic ideology.

I'm sorry but this Arab Spring, as it's been coined, is the road to disaster. They all purportedly want democracy, but each tribe or sect only want that for themselves, they don't want to share it with their neighbour or next tribe. Some places in the world need to ruled with not so much a dictator, but someone very strong who can keep the factions from destroying one another.

You only have to look at Libya, Syria, Egypt and probably a few others. Basically it's every tribe for himself, and slowly but surely, they will descend into civil war and spend a lifetime killing one another in search of 'their' brand of democracy which is never going to happen.

I suppose there is the school of thought whereby, if they're killing one another then that detract from their mission to want to kill us lot!

It will all end in tears for them, and probably us too!

As for destroying the pyramids, that would be pure lunacy, but nothing I don't think they're capable of in some kind of lunatic ideology.

Very true, and why there's no chance of Iraq / Afghanistan ever becoming 'civilised' democratic nations. They might get a democratically elected government, but the bombs, killing and civil unrest will continue. It's democracy, but not as we know it.

what happened is that some idiot cleric a thousand miles away in Bahrain mouthed off on air. big deal. Nothing to do with Egypt, Muslim Brotherhood included.

So basically, some bloke in Bahrain said a thing.
My understanding was that the Muslim Brotherhood (or somesuch) is an essentially-borderless organisation?

Making, where their policies/aims/PR/etc. are concerned, any consideration of legal/geographical boundaries essentially redundant (at least in that part of the world)?

Am I mistaken? :confused::huh:

The president of Egypt isn't interested in what the bloke said. If you are going to lump Mursi in with this fanatic, take the time to explain why Mursi is including Christians and women in his cabinet.
Now, now, surely you are sufficiently political-aware (...or cynical :D) to realise the hows and whys of that particular political move/'choice': them $£€ millions of international aid, are not going to be so forthcoming when your Gvt is composed of hardliners or has the 'wrong' political make-up :twisted:;)

FWIW, I used to work with an Egyptian engineer, of the Copt persuasion. 20 years ago or so. They had it real rough then, and recent reports I have read in the French investigative press don't show much of an improvement since :(

FWIW, I used to work with an Egyptian engineer, of the Copt persuasion. 20 years ago or so. They had it real rough then, and recent reports I have read in the French investigative press don't show much of an improvement since :(

Somebody who used to work with me, and used to post here, came to the UK when his parents (one Muslim Egyptian, one English) fled Egypt 20/25 years ago. I would be interested in his thoughts on Egypt now, but he was pretty pessimistic a year ago.

His (English) mother was beaten and threatened because she refused to wear a veil, as the region they fled from turned from secular and liberal to hard-line very quickly.

I have every sympathy for the large number of sensible Egyptians who would like to see a liberal secular democratic Egypt, and the best of luck to them, but I'm afraid Egypt has never been on my holiday list.

BTW has nobody else sussed that this story is just a joke yet? :huh:

I'll believe in an "Arab spring" when I see Egyptians and other Arabs discuss the real issues that ail their societies.

Corrupt and stifling bureaucracy

--An ill-educated and often illiterate labour force

--Emigration of the skilled and able

--Inability to attract investment

These are the real issues. I've yet to see anyone even discussing them let

--alone coming forth with plans to deal with them

Archived