Islamic Clerics Call on Egypt to Destroy Great Pyramids

I have every sympathy for the large number of sensible Egyptians who would like to see a liberal secular democratic Egypt, and the best of luck to them, but I'm afraid Egypt has never been on my holiday list.

Ditto. A friend of mine did a charity bike ride along the banks opf the nile, she had stones chucked at her several times presumably because she wasn't snaggled up in a burqua.

Best thing the secular Egyptians could do is move south of Aswan then tell the beardo wierdos that the aswan high dam is an actually a temple to Hot-Coq the ancient egyptian god of bum-sex. Then watch while they blow it to bits and destroy everything north of the dam in the process.

some really igorant posters here and it's sad people have so much of an agenda, they resort to just making stuff up. Burqas are practically unknown in Egypt and you almost never see them. They're probably more common in London, than Cairo. Maybe 90% of Egyptian women wear a headscarf, but you're probably more likely to see a burqa on a walk to the tube after a West Ham United game than round Midan Tahrir. Even niqab is quite unusual.

some really igorant posters here and it's sad people have so much of an agenda, they resort to just making stuff up. Burqas are practically unknown in Egypt and you almost never see them. They're probably more common in London, than Cairo. Maybe 90% of Egyptian women wear a headscarf, but you're probably more likely to see a burqa on a walk to the tube after a West Ham United game than round Midan Tahrir. Even niqab is quite unusual.

There's only two mentions of a burqa in this thread, once by you and once by andygardener.

BTW has nobody else sussed that this story is just a joke yet? :huh:

I'll believe in an "Arab spring" when I see Egyptians and other Arabs discuss the real issues that ail their societies.

Corrupt and stifling bureaucracy

--An ill-educated and often illiterate labour force

--Emigration of the skilled and able

--Inability to attract investment

These are the real issues. I've yet to see anyone even discussing them let

--alone coming forth with plans to deal with them

.........and how to line their own pockets as a result.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't travel to Egypt now. Its a shame, my parents travelled there when I was young and they said the place was amazing and the people where great, but even back then you did not travel to the south of the country as it was too dangerous. It seems that danger has crept north over the years and is now the norm for the majority of the country.

Archived