Farming minister doesn't know the price of milk

Do you know the price of a pint of milk?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know the price of a pint of milk?

• Yes, I buy it.
    • Yes, but I don't buy it.
    • No, I don't buy it.
    • No, but I buy it.

I don't know the price per pint as I don't buy in archaic units - I pay 39p a litre. Since I get it direct from the farmer I think both of us get a good deal. While it's not possible for everyone to do so of course, milk freezes very well so if you can get to a farmer market every week or so it's a good way for all concerned.

It is a fairly basic fact that the minister should be aware of.

The way that we are being ripped off is of fundemental interest to all dairy farmers.

They get somewhere around 25p to 30p per litre.

Shops sell it at 75p to 90p per litre.

Then there are all the regulations to stop the average farm selling direct, 'cos we were all dropping like flies. Weren't we?

The NFU members descended upon London today to protest against unfair competition which is forcing them out of business . 3 companies seem to be taking over and forcing smaller dairy farmers out of business :

Robert Wiseman and Sons Ltd

Dairy Crest Dairies Ltd

Arla Foods UK (who are now , according to their website , a "global" company) .( Not the "g" word again ??)

If you look at an Office of Fair Trading Press release 170/07 (7th July 2007) there was a charge of COLLUSION BETWEEN DAIRY FARMERS , of which Arla , Dairy Crest and Wiseman constituted 3 of the named 5 . Combined penalties were £116 million . However Arla applied to the OFT for "leniency" and were facing complete immunity from financial penalty if they fully co-operated .

Even the head of the NFU is apparently advocating huge , US -style farming techniques here in the UK . In the face of mass milk production , I'd rather pay a little bit more for my milk just to know that those cows have actually breathed fresh air rather than being cooped up in a factory all day .

I want my milk to come from cows who have tasted fresh grass , and felt the sun ( or rain ....) on their hides .

To put it simply , I'd like to drink real milk from real cows , not from some poor factory-bred stock .

So why can't milk be priced and labelled like eggs ? eg "battery farmed " ( big conglomerates ) , free-range , ie. cows mainly out in the fields etc.. would give dairy farmers a chance to market their "free range milk" as a unique selling point . How about " milk from grass-fed cows" as opposed to "milk from grain-fed cows" which is rich in pro-inflammatory Omega 6 crap , feeding our pro-inflammatory systems and setting us up for disease processes such as diabetes , arthritis , heart disease etc .

So why can't milk be priced and labelled like eggs ? eg "battery farmed " ( big conglomerates ) , free-range , ie. cows mainly out in the fields etc.. would give dairy farmers a chance to market their "free range milk" as a unique selling point . How about " milk from grass-fed cows" as opposed to "milk from grain-fed cows" which is rich in pro-inflammatory Omega 6 crap , feeding our pro-inflammatory systems and setting us up for disease processes such as diabetes , arthritis , heart disease etc .

I'm not a farmer (though my neighbours are.)

May I respectfully suggest that you know bugger-all about dairy farming?:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why on earth would you want to feed dairy cattle grain? - Grain costs money, builds protein (beef.)

Grass is good for dairy herds and it's cheap. In this part of the world, the cows live in byres during the winter. - There's up to 6ft of snow on the pasture, the temperature is 'minus a lot' and it's a damned sight more comfortable inside. The cattle are fed silage, which is made by the farmers and is more expensive that grass in a pasture, but there is no other choice.

If you want somebody to live outside 'as nature [no doubt] intended' let me know. - Im sure I can find a farmer who will allow ytou to lead a 'free range'life. :hihi:

You won't get diabetes, heart disease or rheumatism. None of those ailments seem to be able to survive the temperatures around here in winter.

Archived