How can I buy milk to support farmers?

Listening to the news right now. It costs 16p per pint to produce and dairies are going to be paying 14p. Farmers are heartbroken and don't know where to turn. We buy a lot of milk & use the local milkman which we thought was a route supporting local dairy farmers but currently it comes from Hillsbro' dairy. Are they one of those paying 14p? I wish I could buy it from the farmer but guess this isn't practical!?

Yes awful situation, we don't want our dairy farmers going out of business and have to import it all from the continent. I'd be happy to pay a bit more if I knew the extra was going to the farmer and not increasing profit for the middle men.

hillsbrough dairy was owned by the dairy farmers up untill a few years ago (all farmers that sold to it where part owners or something like that) and guess what, it went bust even though they supposebly got a good price and where the sole suppliers

asda , morrisons and co-op are the big names that are being named as the worst for paying farmers, for a change tescos are the good guys and paying out a higher price voluntary

We have our milk delivered but 90% of our road get it in 2/3 litre containers from the supermarket. We pay 60p a pint. When I delivered milk in 1966, nearly everyone relied on the milkman. Getting it from Tescos, etc, wasn't an option. In 20 years from now, milk deliveries will probably be a thing of the past.

We have our milk delivered but 90% of our road get it in 2/3 litre containers from the supermarket. We pay 60p a pint. When I delivered milk in 1966, nearly everyone relied on the milkman. Getting it from Tescos, etc, wasn't an option. In 20 years from now, milk deliveries will probably be a thing of the past.

But does your 60p pint come from the same milk processing plant that the supermarkets and your neighbours get their from?- in other words does the farmer get to see any of the inflated price you are paying?

Archived