How can I buy milk to support farmers?

I've had a milkman all my life, I wouldn't dream of buying it grom a supermarket because most of it sold in supermarkets is French.

My last milkman 18 months ago travelled all the way from Oxspring and only charged 40p per pint, but now he has had to give it up.

I have a new one who charges 50p per pint but it's worth it just to know it's there on the doorstep every morning through all weathers.

Listening to the news right now. It costs 16p per pint to produce and dairies are going to be paying 14p. Farmers are heartbroken and don't know where to turn. We buy a lot of milk & use the local milkman which we thought was a route supporting local dairy farmers but currently it comes from Hillsbro' dairy. Are they one of those paying 14p? I wish I could buy it from the farmer but guess this isn't practical!?

As Jonny Rotten says in the TV advert- 'It's their career choice'!

Harsh, but true.

'tis a fact for sure but one that is beautifully glossed over by the industry. I have zero sympathy for struggling dairy farms.

I agree, how they going to fill up their fleets of range rovers, and the likes, nobody knows. They always come on with bleeding hearts on TV, and so hard done by, they're not you know.

Ignoring the 'all animal products are baaad mmkay' brigade - I am told that supermarket wise Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S are the best to buy from. Other than that see where the farmer's get their milk from?

Also - what do all you 'animal activists' think will happen to all the dairy herds if the farmers go under?

And not all farmers are rich, if I recall correctly those with money tend to be the ones that have hisotircally had large swathes of family land that they rent to people to farm... Most farmers struggle these days - especially with the incessant demand for seasonal produce year round.

Well, as a human, and, therefore, omnivore, dairy, as well as meat, is part of my diet (albeit a small part). Seeing as though we are neither predators, nor scavengers, do you propose that all humans are vegan? Gosh, that would change the face of both the human and animal world as we know it.

Ignoring the 'all animal products are baaad mmkay' brigade - I am told that supermarket wise Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S are the best to buy from. Other than that see where the farmer's get their milk from?

Also - what do all you 'animal activists' think will happen to all the dairy herds if the farmers go under?

And not all farmers are rich, if I recall correctly those with money tend to be the ones that have hisotircally had large swathes of family land that they rent to people to farm... Most farmers struggle these days - especially with the incessant demand for seasonal produce year round.

The point is they are not the only ones that struggle.:)

Archived