How can I buy milk to support farmers?

Morrisons (as well as the Co-op) have increased the amount they pay the suppliers. So it looks like the answer to the OP's question is to buy your milk from Morrisons or the Co-op.

Expect to see a significant rise in the price of milk soon. The supermarkets will tell us it's all the nasty farmers fault, although the rise in the price will exceed the extra that the farmers receive.

Morrisons (as well as the Co-op) have increased the amount they pay the suppliers. So it looks like the answer to the OP's question is to buy your milk from Morrisons or the Co-op.

Expect to see a significant rise in the price of milk soon. The supermarkets will tell us it's all the nasty farmers fault, although the rise in the price will exceed the extra that the farmers receive.

M&S and a few others were paying enough before the strike. Co-op was one of the bad ones in this case.

I have a cousin who was a dairy farmer, always complaining about costs and that they were skint and then they sold up for millions!

That's because if they have the land as an asset, it still doesn't make the business of dairy farming any more profitable.

Why would a farmers produce milk at a loss?

They wouldn't, which is why they're protesting.

Several years ago they were dumping it as a protest instead of selling so it shows that they can afford to cover the costs.

I remember french farmers doing that. It was a gesture, mainly, made at a tourist destination, so I doubt they dumped all their milk. There were also problems with EU production quotas.

I'm moved by a free-market argument, but agriculture is controlled and subsidised to a certain degree. I can't find out with any certainty if British dairy is.

@Chris-Sleeps

The BBC article breaks down the cost and shows the farmers lose 11p on the production of 4 pints. According to another article though a dairy farmer receives a £32,000 per annum payment/subsidy as well.

So it looks like the taxpayer is subsidising the farmers and yet being asked to pay more for their subsidised products so the farmers can make more profit.

• 10 months later...

Re. last post about subsidies and low prices - I have also read this in the news and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Re. calcium - good non animal sources of calcium are molasses, sesame and pumpkin seeds, tofu, dark green leaves such as spring greens/collards, cabbage and kale, almonds, rhubarb, regular old wheat flour (in lots of products) and as someone said earlier, baked beans and canned tomato soup/tomato products.

Non dairy, animal based sources of calcium include eggs and fish such as sardines and salmon.

The Japanese diet does not contain much dairy, yet they have the lowest rates of osteoporosis in the world. Dairy contains useful nutrients, but it is certainly not vital to health.

Cows dont produce milk for humans- it's for their babies. Humans discard the babies and steal the milk!

I'm not sure there's much of a market for pints of human milk..

Our laws mean we can't hook women up to the milking machines without paying min wage.. that's gonna bump the price a bit.

Archived