Faulty gas supply advice needed.

Guest sibon

Response to Rupert:-

No-one needed to inspect the installation. The gas was leaking and as such proves that someone did something wrong. Whoever installed the new meter, and whoever was supposed to check it, was GROSSLY negligent because ... gas is dangerous!

I did not suggest sueing ... read!

Wind your neck in and try to calm down.

It doesn't prove anything of the sort.

How do you know that the meter was leaking? - Sibon didn't say that the meter was leaking, he said that there was a strong smell of gas.

Let's assume that the meter was leaking.

Who did what wrong?

Did the installer make a mistake?

Did the Meter fail after he installed it?

Can you prove either?

I don't have a problem with my neck - but you appear to have one with your lips!

You are accusing somebody - somebody who you haven't cared to identify - of negligence.

Are you prepared to 'put your money where your mouth is'?

It's quite a serious matter to accuse people of negligence.

The operators of this forum could be held liable for comments posted thereon.

I've suggested that nobody knows what went wrong. You told me to 'wind my neck in'.

Do you think I might be sued for saying 'nobody knows what went wrong'?

Or is it more ikely that you might be sued for saying :

'No-one needed to inspect the installation. The gas was leaking and as such proves that someone did something wrong. Whoever installed the new meter, and whoever was supposed to check it, was GROSSLY negligent because ... gas is dangerous!"

?

In my experience big organisations don't "learn lessons" unless it hits them in the pocket, one way or another, and this is a lesson that needs learning from quickly.

And that's why - as Pattricia suggested - it should be reported to the Gas Safety Regulator.

Given that the installation in Sibon's house is now safe (we hope it is) and any 'problem'(I won't use the word 'defective', for obvious reasons) items have been removed, assigning liability will probably be difficulty.

If, however, the Regulator keeps a record of installations and a particular individual, or a particular company hasa poor record, then hopefully the regulator can intervene.

Gas - to me - is really scary stuff! (Elecktrickery is no problem ...you need to learn a few things about 'Ant Odes' and 'Cat Toads' - and you need to learn to keep one hand in your pocket and to approach cables with the back of your hand, but otherwise - it's pretty simple stuff.

Gas is dangerous! - The only way to deal with gas (as far as I'm concerned) is to get somebody else - somebody who knows what (s)he's doing) to do it.

Even then - things do go wrong.

• 1 month later...

If it was neglect it'll be down to an individual G4S staff or training, we've just changed ours from a card paying meter to a standard bill, the G4S engineer (Alan) did a full handover when he'd finish explaining everything he done.

My opinion with company employees you get Good/Bad and we must have gotten Lucky today and got, very good.

Definitely the o/p needs to report to the regulator, hope they get to the bottom of it in the end be it human or mechanical failure.

• 7 months later...

My old fella (god rest him)...in his youth was a gas fitter (in the days long before registrations and gas safe, and health and safety) used to test installations with a lighted match!...Now that was a 'proper' test. Dangerous yes!...But it meant you had to have confidence in your workmanship!

Just for information, he finally died of old age!!! ;)

Archived