Ecclesfield

Indigogo

It's hard to imagine that the tiny slip road cul-de-sac which now serves the Greyhound and Ball Inn was once the main High Street through Ecclesfield, before the shops were built across the road.

What was the name of the now demolished pub where the Library now stands, on the end of the High Street shops?

Originally posted by tiffy

The name of the pub is on the tip of my tongue but...........................

Somebody suggested Travellers but I'm not sure.

There already is a Travellers where Ecclesfield Common meets Cross Hill, opposite Morrisons, Ecclesfield.

Sportsman Inn, I went to all three schools infants junior and the sec mod,A picture of the pub is in the new book AN ECCLESFIELD CAMERA, by J R WRIGLEY, shows what damage the so called planners did in the 50/60s,

Originally posted by hutch

Sportsman Inn, I went to all three schools infants junior and the sec mod, A picture of the pub is in the new book AN ECCLESFIELD CAMERA, by J R WRIGLEY, shows what damage the so called planners did in the 50/60s,

Ah - That's the one. Thanks.

As regards Planners, they must have a hard time wondering where to put all the expanding population.

• 2 years later...
It's hard to imagine that the tiny slip road cul-de-sac which now serves the Greyhound and Ball Inn was once the main High Street through Ecclesfield, before the shops were built across the road.

What was the name of the now demolished pub where the Library now stands, on the end of the High Street shops?

It was The Sportsman - known by the locals as 'Mary's House' and was actually a little further down than the library, but on the same side. Conway and Cutts electrical shop stood (and had for around 200 years) where the library is. Next door was a Tannery.

• 6 years later...

Archived