Would you be miffed at 90% sewerage charges if you were a green nut?

I'm on a water meter at home, and noticed the last bill I had, the sewerage charge accounted for 90% of the bill.

It's probably somewhere in that region if you think about it.

BUT what if you were as far as possible completely 'green', and took the 1970's drought advice and 'bathed with a friend', and recycled washing up water in the garden, and collected rainwater instead of using hose pipes, only flushed when there was a No2...etc...etc

Would you feel miffed at the 90% levy?

I hasten to add. I'm not green, although being on a meter, we do tend to be a little more thoughtful.

Most of those things mean you're using less water thus paying less because its 90% of a smaller amount.

Only using bath water on the garden would reduce the percentage of your water which goes down the drain.

Most of those things mean you're using less water thus paying less because its 90% of a smaller amount.

Only using bath water on the garden would reduce the percentage of your water which goes down the drain.

Yes I can see what you mean, but even using less water, it still means you would be charged at 90/5 for sewerage charges, when if fact you wouldn't be wasting 90% of it down the drain!

Yes I can see what you mean, but even using less water, it still means you would be charged at 90/5 for sewerage charges, when if fact you wouldn't be wasting 90% of it down the drain!

If you can prove the water didn't go down the drain you can apply for a lower sewage rate, although it’s usually not worth the effort unless it’s something like filling a pond or swimming pool. One way to save is to divert the bath/shower water though a filter and then into the toilet cistern, that way you get to use the water twice before it goes to the sewer.

If you can prove the water didn't go down the drain you can apply for a lower sewage rate, although it’s usually not worth the effort unless it’s something like filling a pond or swimming pool. One way to save is to divert the bath/shower water though a filter and then into the toilet cistern, that way you get to use the water twice before it goes to the sewer.

Can you actually do that? Apply for a lower rate? Surely the only way to prove it somehow would be to meter the waste? :gag:

Can you actually do that? Apply for a lower rate? Surely the only way to prove it somehow would be to meter the waste? :gag:

It’s easy if you have a septic tank, but it is possible to meter water from an outside tap that is used to fill a pond, swimming pool or to water garden. But as I said unless you use a lot of water that doesn't go down the drain it’s not worth the effort. You could even meter the shower water and if you can show that the waste shower water goes onto the garden then you can apply for that amount to be come off you bill.

It’s easy if you have a septic tank, but it is possible to meter water from an outside tap that is used to fill a pond, swimming pool or to water garden. But as I said unless you use a lot of water that doesn't go down the drain it’s not worth the effort. You could even meter the shower water and if you can show that the waste shower water goes onto the garden then you can apply for that amount to be come off you bill.

Well if you had a sceptic tank then presumably you wouldn't pay any sewerage charge anyway! (although, now I think about it, that only accounts for the toilet waste :roll:)

I'm not disputing what you say, but is it fact or speculation?

Well if you had a sceptic tank then presumably you wouldn't pay any sewerage charge anyway! (although, now I think about it, that only accounts for the toilet waste :roll:)

I'm not disputing what you say, but is it fact or speculation?

Fact.:)

When you have a meter installed they presume that all the water you use going down the drain, it’s for the householder to prove that it doesn't, obviously that is very easy if you aren’t connected to the sewer, but it’s more difficult when some goes into the sewer and some doesn’t, it can be done but is rarely worth the effort. You even pay for an amount for the assumption that rain water goes into the sewer, again if you can prove it doesn't they will take that off you bill.

Fact.:)

When you have a meter installed they presume that all the water you use going down the drain, it’s for the householder to prove that it doesn't, obviously that is very easy if you aren’t connected to the sewer, but it’s more difficult when some goes into the sewer and some doesn’t, it can be done but is rarely worth the effort. You even pay for an amount for the assumption that rain water goes into the sewer, again if you can prove it doesn't they will take that off you bill.

I don't dispute your information, but like you say, I suppose it might not be worth it in a lot of cases. I would imagine the water companies would make it quite difficult for yoou to prove without doubt that it doesn't go down the drain, and so put you off claiming the reduction. Which is another reason, whereby, if I did go to extreme lengths not to put water down the sewers, I would be extrememly 'miffed'.

Archived