Weekend break ideas please

Hi

A friend of mine celebrates his 40th birthday in October and he's wanting to organise a weekend break in the uk for around 4 couples of a similar age.

Does anyone have any ideas

i spent my 40th in york, fantastic place loads to do and great pubs

What do you all like doing? would an activity break suit ? or maybe a weekend at center parcs? or would it be more suitable to have a city break somewhere busy like London taking in a show......or perhaps a more genteel weekend at perhaps Stratford going to the theater, Is there a limit on where you can travel? would you rather have self catering accommodation or stay in a swish hotel?

Nowt genteel about Stratford...was there a few weeks back, just shops with the odd "Ye Olde Shakespeare" tea room, and rammed as well, horrible, couldn't wait to leave.

Can't think Center Parcs would be at the top of my list for 4 couples either.

I would jump on a plane and go somewhere in Europe...Copenhagen is great, Nuremburg also good.

Nowt genteel about Stratford...was there a few weeks back, just shops with the odd "Ye Olde Shakespeare" tea room, and rammed as well, horrible, couldn't wait to leave.

Can't think Center Parcs would be at the top of my list for 4 couples either.

I would jump on a plane and go somewhere in Europe...Copenhagen is great, Nuremburg also good.

Did you not go to the RSC - and have a glass of good pinot on the terrace ? or take a boat on the river? or go to (ok not actual Stratford) the castle and have afternoon tea? ............all of which is "genteelesq " to me.

Centre Parcs wouldn't be my choice either for a 40th - I spent mine in Venice- but given the lack of information from the OP on which to make recommendations I was giving as varied an assortment as possible.

What are your reasons - based on the info from the OP - to recommend your choices?

Did you not go to the RSC - and have a glass of good pinot on the terrace ? or take a boat on the river? or go to (ok not actual Stratford) the castle and have afternoon tea? ............all of which is "genteelesq " to me.

Centre Parcs wouldn't be my choice either for a 40th - I spent mine in Venice- but given the lack of information from the OP on which to make recommendations I was giving as varied an assortment as possible.

What are your reasons - based on the info from the OP - to recommend your choices?

Nope, didnt go to RSC or take a river boat, both of which sound good. Just thought the town itself wasnt worth a visit.

My reasons for recommending Copenhagen....lots to do in the daytime - Tivoli/Harbour boat cruise/Carlsberg Brewery etc etc - great restaurants, great bar scene in the evenings, welcoming people, no rowdy groups of Brits abroad on stag do's and the like......and I went there for my 40th :)

Nuremburg...as above really...plenty of other cities/towns in Germany also.

I can think of loads of other cities of the same that would happily visit for a long weekend...not many of which are in the UK...

Liverpool!! Loads to see and do, and a lot of it free!

+1 to that, its a great vibrant city. The waterfront and museums are fantastic and you've also got some fantastic beaches just 20 minutes away at Formby or Wirral. And Chester is just a short cheap train ride away.

Liverpool!! Loads to see and do, and a lot of it free!

+2 I'm from liverpool originally, lived there 22 years and still really enjoyed a weekend break back there doing some of the tourist stuff, night out, meals out and seeing a show at the arena.

Nope, didnt go to RSC or take a river boat, both of which sound good. Just thought the town itself wasnt worth a visit.

My reasons for recommending Copenhagen....lots to do in the daytime - Tivoli/Harbour boat cruise/Carlsberg Brewery etc etc - great restaurants, great bar scene in the evenings, welcoming people, no rowdy groups of Brits abroad on stag do's and the like......and I went there for my 40th :)

Nuremburg...as above really...plenty of other cities/towns in Germany also.

I can think of loads of other cities of the same that would happily visit for a long weekend...not many of which are in the UK...

Copenhagen sounds lovely - not been there. Just done the "main" weekend breaks; Paris, Barcelona etc so Copenhagen may well be one for the list.

Archived