Daily Mail: UK stuck in a 17 year property slump

Paid for by who?

Me and other tax payers no doubt.

Seems like the silver plate joke was true after all.

Would you rather your taxes were spent on things like this, or wasted on paying for rich, greedy, well paid, high ranking civil servants to get their snouts even deeper in the trough...

House prices need to fall by about 50% in my opinion.

In 1999, my part time lifeguard wage way enough to save up a massive deposit and virtually wipe out an entire mortgage (with a few years modest savings), was enough to pay my entire outgoings and still leave me enough left over to enjoy holidays, have nights out, buy clothes and run a decent car.

In 2012, a 23 year old worker would need a full time salary (at least 20k net....or.... 25k pre tax/gross) to enjoy the standard of living I enjoyed back in 1999 as a part time worker, to be able to afford to get into my current home, and pay for all the essentials and to enjoy the lifestyle I enjoyed in my 20s.

Why do peopl rejoice when the house prices go up? it means the home I want to move into (my next step up) is even more unattainable, and a first time buyer can move into my place. If prices dropped back by 50%, then what difference does it make? a decent semi detached would be worth 60k instead of 120k.

Perhaps the government have brainwashed people into thinking they are wealthy just because the house price has shot up

House prices need to fall by about 50% in my opinion.

In 1999, my part time lifeguard wage way enough to save up a massive deposit and virtually wipe out an entire mortgage (with a few years modest savings), was enough to pay my entire outgoings and still leave me enough left over to enjoy holidays, have nights out, buy clothes and run a decent car.

In 2012, a 23 year old worker would need a full time salary (at least 20k net....or.... 25k pre tax/gross) to enjoy the standard of living I enjoyed back in 1999 as a part time worker, to be able to afford to get into my current home, and pay for all the essentials and to enjoy the lifestyle I enjoyed in my 20s.

Why do peopl rejoice when the house prices go up? it means the home I want to move into (my next step up) is even more unattainable, and a first time buyer can move into my place. If prices dropped back by 50%, then what difference does it make? a decent semi detached would be worth 60k instead of 120k.

Perhaps the government have brainwashed people into thinking they are wealthy just because the house price has shot up

I like this post, and I'm not bovvered if anyone dislikes what I like. :hihi:

I like this post, and I'm not bovvered if anyone dislikes what I like. :hihi:

Its right though isn't it?

My property could be worth £500,000 which is fine, but then the property I want to move into would then be worth £800,000, and then a 1st time buyer can't afford to buy my place on their 20k a year salary.

YOu may as well pluck figures out of the air, why not value my property at £500000000, doesn't mean anything. Its still the same place that I bought as a part time worker 12 years ago. I don't have a spare £500000000 in my back pocket, so the property may as well be set at a sensible price of £35,000

Would you rather your taxes were spent on things like this, or wasted on paying for rich, greedy, well paid, high ranking civil servants to get their snouts even deeper in the trough...

Why be such a drama queen?

No one ever said we have to pay for either. It's not a one or the other scenario.

Yes it's funny how everyone rejoices if the price of bread/cars/fags/ale/petrol falls but moans when the price of houses goes down.

When was the last time bread,cars,fags,ale and petrol prices fell and people rejoiced?

Best time to buy then. With interest rates so low, property is better than money in the bank.

The best time to buy would be when interest rates are high.

Falling interest rates would lead to falling mortgage costs.

If you buy when interest rates are low, and interest rates rise you face having to pay increasingly higher costs.

Archived