Whatever happened to the "savage cuts"?

If nothing is done and civil servants are allowed to retire at 60 (or even less) and claim their index linked pensions for a further 30 years, the rest of the population will have to pay 50% of their incomes as tax and work till 80 to fund it.

She can't have a signature on a non-existant contract...that was my point,there is no contract..and for your second point.. am I supposed to be surprised? :)

So she didn't have a contract of any sort? (I'm guessing she was a teacher). Why was she under the illusion (as you purport) that she could retire at 60? There must have been some sort of 'agreement', or contract. Which has now been reneged on, without any consultation. At least not with her!

No I don't suppose you're surprised by me. :P

Why was she under the illusion (as you purport) that she could retire at 60?

Because that was the normal retirement age for a woman which has now changed? I didn't assume she was a teacher..if so then maybe it's different..I just assumed she was talking about the state pension,not an occupational one..

Because that was the normal retirement age for a woman which has now changed? I didn't assume she was a teacher..if so then maybe it's different..I just assumed she was talking about the state pension,not an occupational one..

I'm sure I read on another thread somewhere that she was a teacher, or at least used to be. Obviously only she can confirm. Which would mean she's refering to an occupational pension.

Wether you like it or not, the way to balance the books are to cut foregn aid and welfare.

This may well be politically brutal but it is the only way.

With welfare, lets pretend France had a welfare system like ours and we made cuts to our own welfare budget (ie, state pays for 2 kids maximum as an example) do you honestly think people would travel half way around the world to come to the UK?

If France (or Spain) had our welfare system, then people would hardly come to the UK for a freeby lifestyle. Until you slash this, you will never balance the books

As I said in the past, foregn aid, andother prime example.

Another example, get out of the EU (after all we pay billions into this club), put the referendum to the people and lets see once and for all what people want. If people vote to stay in this club, then so be it - lets have the vote.

I think it's perfectly acceptable that contracts should be adhered to by both sides.. don't you? is the the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? :D
Contracts have largely run their course!..........mostly dreamt up by money mad lawyers and such.The time has come for them to be mostly scrapped!..................you can either fulfill your promises or not to gain employment,it's the results that count!Too many are paid for failure as the result of some outdated contractual agreement.

Contracts have largely run their course!..........mostly dreamt up by money mad lawyers and such.The time has come for them to be mostly scrapped!..................you can either fulfill your promises or not to gain employment,it's the results that count!Too many are paid for failure as the result of some outdated contractual agreement.

Yeah whatever, that's just too bad

Pension annuities have fallen by 25% since 2008.

That's a pretty big drop, especially when you didn't have much in the first place.

You probably won't have taken any notice unless you're over 55.

Not to mention retirement age going up (projections suggest it will have to go up to 77yrs by 2030)

People tend not to notice what doesn't affect them directly, but it will..it will....

Yes it will,thanks to Mr G Brown!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1531448/Browns-raid-on-pensions-costs-Britain-100-billion.html

Archived