Pubs and clubs in decline-Just unlicence supermarkets.

It seems that if someone at a local public house gives too much alcohol to a customer/s and they then cause trouble, the local councils can in extreme cases revoke licenses or not grant them in the first place, so why can't local councils just say we don't want supermarkets selling cheap booze because they have no control over consumption?

The obvious difference between a pub and a supermarket is that in a pub people consume alcohol on the premises whereas supermarkets are takeaway outlets. Therefore you are going to get far more trouble in a pub. Therefore pubs have to be controlled far more than supermarkets. Bit obvious really.

What about the breweries charging stupidly high rents? Maybe pubs could survive selling a lower volume if their overheads were not as high.

It's not breweries, it's Pubcos that are to blame for the high rents, which in turn are passed on to the customer as inflated prices.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/18/pub-debt-publicans-pain-pubcos

Pubs & clubs only have themselves (and their greedy pubco owners) to blame for a loss in trade. Some pubs are busier than ever. I don't miss any of the local pubs that have closed, the good ones are still open.

I'm not sure that there is a reduction in numbers anyhow. All the decent pubs are doing fine. There are some dives that I would never go near that are closing because no one else goes near either. However if I walk down West Street, Division Street Eccy Road etc I can find 2 new winebars/cafebars etc for every pub that I've seen close.

The obvious difference between a pub and a supermarket is that in a pub people consume alcohol on the premises whereas supermarkets are takeaway outlets. Therefore you are going to get far more trouble in a pub. Therefore pubs have to be controlled far more than supermarkets. Bit obvious really.

I don't think the A&E dept differentiate where the alcohol was consumed. What I am saying is that you have some degree of control in a public house environment and can reign in a licensee and call them to account, where has all a supermarket has to do is sell it and not worry about it.

So what your saying is if you have everyone in one place then you have to have some sort of control but if its wide spread throughout a community then no one has to worry?

If its in a pub that its consumed then you can have some sort of control over consumption as the landlord can be called to question if someone is served and they are already saturated.

If you see the obvious then surly you are in support of the obvious ?

If they want to charge over £3 a pint then there has to be something more than grumpy staff, smelly old men & a one armed bandit to attract me, it has to be really nice beer too. £3.50+ for a pint of Stella in a dirty estate pub? No thanks. The ones that closed fit that description, there are still a few left, hopefully they'll close soon too. Pubs that provide better value are busier.

Agreed. What we're seeing is a correction in the market. There were simply too many pubs before propped up by the breweries. They didnt have to try. The pubs where the Landlord actually tries and has pride in running a nice place to go are flourishing. These tend to be the owner occupied places for obvious reasons.

The supermarkets in the State I'm in only sell beer and only till 9pm no Sundays either, but some other States sell liqueur in their Supermarkets, it varies from State to State, seems odd to see wine on some supermarket shelves.

Sorry H Hounds if my reply seemed abrupt,

Not at all. I have only just got back onto the net cos I've got flu and have been in bed all day feeling sorry for myself. :rolleyes:

I think people don't go to pubs for many reasons, social networking replacing the need to meet up with 'acquaintences', prices, recession, spending evenings doing different things. Places like Wetherspoons are thriving - we used to go for a pub lunch there regularly when we didn't have our own house mainly to get away from my OH's parents :hihi:

The only time we go to a pub now is for a carvery when we can't be bothered to cook. i don't think supermarkets are to blame, if they have played a part, I think its a small one.

If you unlicenced supermarkets that would increase the number of 'home-made alcohol' being sold that are harmful to your health.

EH ?

It isn't against the law to make home made alcohol. It is a legitimate trade, kits are available locally, and it certainly is not damaging to the health. If anything it is better for you than much commecially available beer as it has no added chemicals.

You can make beer for as little as 20p per pint and it is as good as pub beer, often far better.

Your comment is as daft as saying that home made bread is dangerous.

Agreed. What we're seeing is a correction in the market. There were simply too many pubs before propped up by the breweries. They didnt have to try. The pubs where the Landlord actually tries and has pride in running a nice place to go are flourishing. These tend to be the owner occupied places for obvious reasons.

Absolutely correct. If you go back to the 1800s when there was a pub or beerhouse on every single corner, the housing was terrible and cramped. People needed more pubs to get out of the house for a while. Now we have comfortable houses full of entertainment, it is not neccesary to have so many pubs.

Archived