First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

Obviously HAVE THE RIGHT FARE!!!

In the past it was normal courtesy to make sure you had roughly the right change before catching a bus. The routine might be to pop in the paper shop for the morning paper and maybe one or two other bits and bobs for the day ahead and use that opportunity to get some change for the bus, otherwise last thing day before make sure you have change for the next morning.

Of course if you are commuting every day it makes more sense to buy a weekly, monthly or longer pass which means you aren't worrying about buying a ticket on board anyway (plus they generally save money).

Some of you may be also interested to learn that in some cities, such as Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham and Glasgow, they have an exact fare only policy and you drop your money down a chute into a safe under the drivers cab. If you need change you get a recipt and take it to the depot to cash in.

Also in Central London you aren't allowed to pay on board, exact fare or otherwise - either buy a ticket before boarding from a local convenience store or self service machine, or present an Oyster smart card with appropriate credit loaded on. If you get on without a pre-held ticket you get fined under their penalty fare rules.

Both these policies reduce dwell time at bus stops and therefore overall journey time, although I would argue offer lower levels of customer service compared to Sheffield.

in edinburgh all busses (except first ones going out of town) have an exact change only system. has been for years.

if i dont have the exact change i still get on but overpay by 50p or w/e it is. thats how the company makes its money i assume.

if i dont have exact fare on a first bus i round it up to the nearest pound so it doesnt wipe the drivers float. if the fare is £12.30 i give the driver £13 (give or take what change i have).

when im in england i forget drivers have floats and often walk off without my change :roll: idk maybe im the only one who doesnt mind overpaying by 50p or something. its my choice not to drive mainly because of the price but it works out still cheaper than driving. its my own fault if i dont have the right change, i wont cry over not getting change of 30p or whatever it is.

Archived