First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

For all those who say "its the passengers responsibility to have the correct change", I'd love to know how many businesses be it Butchers Shops, Coffee Shops etc.... would stay in business if they were not able to provide change.

I can see it now

CUSTOMER - "I'd like 9 links of Sausages please"

BUTCHER - "certainly sir, that will be £3.55"

CUSTOMER - "I've only got £10 I'm afriad"

BUTCHER - "No problem"

Butcher takes £10 note

CUSTOMER "what about my change?"

BUTCHER - "you should have had correct money, come back at the weekend and I'll give you your change"

I can see this Butcher lasting long in business, if that happened to me, I'd use another Butcher. Surely first have a responsibilty to provide change for customers?

Or is it a case of publicly funded services having its customers over a barrel?

exactley cracking post

How difficult is it to get some change for the bus? Not at all. Have some responsibility for yourself. A bus isn't a butcher's shop. It's a moving vehicle with one man on board.

Back in the day you'd just ask fellow passengers for change if you had too big a coin for the fare.

It may be of interest that the first contactless payment system is not far away and it is being introduced by ....

FIRST

Incorrect. SYPTE are the ones pushing the system, First are just the company chosen to trial it given they have the 'largest market share' of the county.

This is just classic SF stuff. First issue drivers with a £5 float. Stagecoach as far as I know do not issue a float. TM offer their drivers a £4 float. These are not issued daily. They are issued at the commencement of employment and retained by the driver.

So who is it that gets the headline on this thread?

I had an instance the other day when a passenger got on at 1600 ( i had just started work) with a £20 note in one hand and a roll that he was pushing into his pocket containing £5's and £10's. He then stated that he wanted a £1.40 ticket. He catches this bus daily and obviously the drivers can never change his note so sometimes he gets a free ride. He made it quite clear that this was his intention. I offered to drop him at a shop so he could get change. He said what if they havnt got any? I told him he could then use the £5 he had just pushed in his pocket and he replied he needed that for something else. He went to the shop but unfortunately I forgot to wait for him. No doubt people with a like mind to him will say I did wrong. And people have the nerve to say that First are taking the p**. Wake up, for every one who finds themselves genuinely short of change there are a dozen like our friend here.

It may be of interest that the first contactless payment system is not far away and it is being introduced by ....

FIRST

exactly, how many get on the bus knowing/expecting the driver not to have change. when i had to pay for the bus i'd never use a note unless it was a week saver, these days people think it's ok to pay for a 1:40 fare with a £20 note. i can understand people being frustrated when the driver can't give 10p or a small amount like that but on the flip side theres those about you have described.

i never have a float as we're not given one they just get a free ride unless it's a note they are using then i make them find some change.

idle what expcting a service is that idle so if i walked into a shop and something was 7 pound shouldnt i expect change is the same thing they provide a service.

A shop is more secure than a bus driver walking around with a £100 float and shops never open up without change, so your instance is a bit inane.

Incorrect. SYPTE are the ones pushing the system, First are just the company chosen to trial it given they have the 'largest market share' of the county.

Try standing on your head, see if you get any sense out the other end! FIRST are the ones launching their own card system nationwide, exclusive to them independant to any PTE or other body. That's why FIRST invested in the almex ticket machines as they're capable of it. Absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH SYPTE!

He said what if they havnt got any? I told him he could then use the £5 he had just pushed in his pocket and he replied he needed that for something else.

...your complaint being? You have NO IDEA what he needed that for, he undoubtably had a genuine use for it.

How difficult is it to get some change for the bus? Not at all.

I asked someone else to explain this and they didn't.

How do you get the ATM to give you change? It always gives me notes.

Are you going to tell me to find a shop and buy something I don't need, depleting the float of that shop, just so that first don't have to bother with a float?

Have some responsibility for yourself.

How about I have responsibility for myself, and First take responsibility for running a cash handling business?

A bus isn't a butcher's shop. It's a moving vehicle with one man on board.

So it's like a butchers shop on wheels then.

Back in the day you'd just ask fellow passengers for change if you had too big a coin for the fare.

These days it seems entirely reasonable to ask the driver for change.

Could be worse.

In Bristol with the bus company if you do not have the correct change to tender for your fare you are given a change voucher inviting you to go to the depot to obtain your change.

The problem here though is you have to travel miles to the depot so most Bristolians do not bother so,a nice little earner for them with no effort or outlay on their part.

Actually, the arrangement in Bristol's a lot better than that - they print off a change voucher from the ticket machine and you can use it as payment for any future journeys. No need to go and claim it anywhere. Has been like that for years and works well - don't see why First haven't done the same nationwide.

Actually, the arrangement in Bristol's a lot better than that - they print off a change voucher from the ticket machine and you can use it as payment for any future journeys. No need to go and claim it anywhere. Has been like that for years and works well - don't see why First haven't done the same nationwide.

They enjoy the free advertising they get on here and the post content helps relieve the boredom of shipping ingrates around.

Archived