First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

No it's not fair, but it's not a problem that the customer should deal with, it's a problem the company should deal with.

However you paint it, they are running the business and they should provide change.

But they don't and they're is no sign that they will in the near future. So by refusing to get change, when you're perfectly able to, you're not sending a message to the company, all you're doing is saying to the bus driver 'I couldn't be arsed to get change, YOU deal with it' knowing full well there is a chance that the money will have to be stumped up by the driver himself. Not very fair is it, as you've admitted yourself..

The bus driver is the face of the company, he can and should pass the message on.

The only lack of fair behaviour is coming from the company and it's employee's, the public are not and should not be obliged to try to make the employees life better because of a stupid company policy.

In a shop offering a service you expect change. A bus is offering a service, and you expect change in the same way.

If the bus driver ever complains about a large note handed to him, I tell him, "Well do YOU see any bank machines giving £1 coins around here?"

The bus driver is the face of the company, he can and should pass the message on.

The only lack of fair behaviour is coming from the company and it's employee's, the public are not and should not be obliged to try to make the employees life better because of a stupid company policy.

Clearly, you don't know how bus companies work. The only people who treat bus drivers with less respect than the general public are those that employ them. A driver complaining about the situation will make little difference.

As you're so concerned about the lack of change situation, I assume you've written to the companies to complain? After all, taking out your frustration (or offering a lack of co-operation) on an employee who can do nothing about the situation wouldn't reflect to well on you, would it?

It's not really the customers problem what the relationship between the company representative and the rest of the company is.

No, why should I have to write to them? I don't catch the bus, vote with my wallet as it were.

If tescos decide to stop giving out floats, will you simply get your change elsewhere before shopping, or do you feel that as a customer you are entitled to pay with cash and receive change?

It's not really the customers problem what the relationship between the company representative and the rest of the company is.

No, why should I have to write to them? I don't catch the bus, vote with my wallet as it were.

If tescos decide to stop giving out floats, will you simply get your change elsewhere before shopping, or do you feel that as a customer you are entitled to pay with cash and receive change?

What I wouldn't do is wilfully keep presenting notes for small value items knowing full well that the shop assistant would have to fund my change from their own pocket, but then I'm thoughtful like that.

Who mentioned small value items?

What would you do then? Rant at the cash machine until it spat out some change?

Or would you abuse some other shop by buying some small value item and depleting their float?

You do all realise there's a simple solution to this? Scrap 'change' and 'floats' and get Sheffield, scrap that, Yorkshire to invest in an electronic ticketing system like London's Oyster Card.

I came back for a short while from London to Sheffield last month and I forgot how crap (and expensive) our public transport actually is. Also, it took me four minutes (checked the time on my phone) from me being at the back of the queue (the SIXTH person) to actually getting on the bloody thing, and yes it was down to somebody messing around with change!

It is up to the customer to have the correct fare. And giving change isn't obligatory, it is a courtesy

I think you will find that its a legality as you are forming a contract with the bus company. Maybe next time you tender a fare you pay it in 5p pieces as that will then help with them giving change to others.:)

Does anyone know if you can still ask for a deferred ticket?

Who mentioned small value items?

What would you do then? Rant at the cash machine until it spat out some change?

Or would you abuse some other shop by buying some small value item and depleting their float?

As most bus fares (single) are sub £3, I think it would class as small value.

And who's ranting? In this alternate universe you've created, I'd take my custom elsewhere, saving that, then yes I'd make sure I had the correct change unless there was absolutely no way for me to get change.

I still wouldn't hide my indifference/laziness behind a spurious excuse that I was making a stand against 'big business' whilst leaving an employee on low wages to find my change from their own bank account.

And if this other shop had a company supplied float, surely it would be better to deplete theirs than one funded by an employee?

Archived