First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

What does a shop do if it finds it's running out of change. Does it expect customers to just leave £20 for a 50p newspaper, and claim the rest back later?

Is there some reason the float can't contain some notes? Most of the change for a £20, would consist of a single £10 and a single £5 note. Is that so difficult to carry around?

Common sence tells you a shop has the ability to carry more cash on its premises, a shop can securely carrying £100's of worth of change. Plus most shops would have a more than 1 member of staff working unlike a bus where it's just the driver on duty. So should the shop start to run out of change it can easily sent a member off staff to the bank to get change.

Your idea of topping up a float at some point could work but there is still always the chance at some point of the driver running out of change.

Like I asked before, do First actually have offices within the main bus station or is it just SYPTE offices.

How is a shop more secure than a bus?

In some ways it's less secure, it's in a fixed location and can be targeted easily at the end of a working day.

It was someone elses idea, not mine, whoever that was said they did have an office. It sounded like a good idea to me though, along with actually issuing a reasonable float in the first place.

What does a shop do if it finds it's running out of change. Does it expect customers to just leave £20 for a 50p newspaper, and claim the rest back later?

Is there some reason the float can't contain some notes? Most of the change for a £20, would consist of a single £10 and a single £5 note. Is that so difficult to carry around?

It most likely sends a member off staff to the bank to get some. Plus common sence tells you a fixed based shop has the ability to carry large sums of change on its premises.

So your now wanting drivers to carry around large sums of change and notes.

Like it or not the fact is First choose to operate with drivers having little to no change provided to them. Yet some people still choose in paying for fares with large notes then moan when change can't be given.

I think at the start of the day drivers should have a healthy float as passengers are less likely to have change on them.

It most likely sends a member off staff to the bank to get some. Plus common sence tells you a fixed based shop has the ability to carry large sums of change on its premises.

Not all shops have multiple members of staff. And what about the safety issue of carrying money back from the bank?

So your now wanting drivers to carry around large sums of change and notes.

Yes.

Like it or not the fact is First choose to operate with drivers having little to no change provided to them. Yet some people still choose in paying for fares with large notes then moan when change can't be given.

The customer is always right. Or at least always has the right to complain.

I think at the start of the day drivers should have a healthy float as passengers are less likely to have change on them.

And later in the day the driver will have a large amount of change from the people who have paid with change, so it would all be fine then.

And yet I've come across plenty of cash machines giving out £5 notes.

If you know of any in central Sheffield, please post the locations! (I'm not being sarcastic --- it would be useful to know where I can get fivers out.)

Up where i live the buses have started to have posters on the buses asking people to try and use the correct change for future bus use.

Even as a passenger i do find it annoying when 3-4 people in front of me are waving paper money.No wonder the drivers get peed-off. (i would) Some people are just too damn right inconsiderate, ill-prepared and stupid.

Archived