First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

Guest busdriver1
....Are you taking the pee?

Can I nominate you for the stupid post of the year?

outright winner for tha last 5 years against some very stiff competition. But nobody ever comes close to cyclone

I've actually spent a lot of time in the USA where this actually happens. And yes it definitely is quicker. I don't catch buses much, but notice how long they have to stand whilst the driver hands out change for half of the passengers. And they don't give change.

The driver sets off whilst people are still paying.

I'm pretty sure that would be breaching H&S here, you're not even supposed to get up from your seat until the bus stops.

That single comment just proves how totally out of touch you are.

Go ahead and explain then.

Choose one of the busier routes, tell me how many passengers get carried over the course of a shift and what the average fair is.

I'm pretty sure that would be breaching H&S here, you're not even supposed to get up from your seat until the bus stops.

Do buses still let passengers stand if there isn't any seats left available.

Having spent an extensive amount of time in the Los Angeles area, I can say regarding fares and fare payment on buses works great in that part of the world.

They have a Oyster type payment card which can be loaded up with daily, weekly, monthly tickets, plus a simple $1.50 flat fare if you want to pay by cash. They do have other cash fares for OAP's, express buses, transfer to other networks ect but the point is paying by cash the fare is a flat fare with a no change given policy.

Payment card gets scanned on a card reader upon boarding, cash fares gets payed into a secure fare box.

Driver handles no cash at all, passengers know the cost of cash fare before boarding and boarding is amazingly quick.

I had to catch a bus in Canada once (Toronto), very confusing system for a visitor.

You can't use cash, I didn't want a payment card for 2 journeys. You have to go to a shop (you have to guess which shop) and buy a prepay card like a scratch card.

I had to catch a bus in Canada once (Toronto), very confusing system for a visitor.

You can't use cash, I didn't want a payment card for 2 journeys. You have to go to a shop (you have to guess which shop) and buy a prepay card like a scratch card.

I don't think anyone is advocating going to a totally cashless system, but a mix of pre payment daily, weekly, monthly passes and a sensible and speedy onboard cash payment option is what we need.

Guest busdriver1
A contactless payment system would be nice for regular bus users, but I can't see a compelling argument for 'no change' or a good argument as to why drivers shouldn't start their shift with a float.

Since we have established that First drivers DO start their shifts with a floiat and only stagecoach and TM do not this threads title is wrong and missleading. First are also at the forefront of introducing a nationwide cashless payment system for its buses that would seem to answer your main criticism.

I feel sure that a no change system will be following on from the cashless cards. They work the same system in other areas and it works fine.

Guest busdriver1
Go ahead and explain then.

Choose one of the busier routes, tell me how many passengers get carried over the course of a shift and what the average fair is.

There is no way I would share confidential information like that on a public forum and if you think I should then you have no concept of how that sort of breach of etiquette would be dealt with. What I will say is that on an average to busy day I carry about 400 passengers and approx 35% have free concessionary passes, another 35% have prepaid passes 20% are kids at 60p and 10% pay cash for adult fares. You know the range of fares (approx) so do some sums.

The above may not be exact but is generally about right.

On a good day my £5 float will survive the first hour or so then start building, If however I have a run of passengers that have not made any effort to tender change ( not just the correct fare) then I can run out at the first stop. This only tends to happen rarely and specifically on one route.

Archived