First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

Busses are fitted with 2-way radios.

Most buses go into some form of interchange.

Interchanges generally have a small office for the bus company.

Common sense would suggest that when a driver is running low on change, he uses the aforementioned radios in and a member of staff stationed at the interchange is able to meet the driver at his bus bay.

I anticipate someone bleating about security concerns & I say in response

"For a couple of quid, really ?"

I think if a driver was going to the troble of contacting the office to arrange for more change, asking for a couple of quid would be pointless, that would be totally wipped out by someone paying for a £2.50 fare with a fiver.

I think one of the problems is the actual fare itself. Lets take stagecoach, don't they have a 90p fare. Now it's highly lilkely someone asking for a 90p fare will just pay with a £1 coin. Scrap the 90p fare and just charge a pound.

Why should they cary a £100 float? just because passengers are to idle to make sure they have the correct fare, I always tender the correct fare, its not to difficult.

Because it's a business, and the way businesses that take cash work is generally that they give change.

The cash machine doesn't give me change when I go and take out cash, so where am I supposed to have change from in order to pay the bus driver the correct money?

You need Oyster cards like we have in London. Much quicker, no faffing about.

Half the problem is that the fare information isn't published anywhere. If there was a poster at the bus stop showing fares from that stop, I think more people would get the right money ready.

They are a complete rip off.

They should carry a float of £100.

Some tickets would require you to use two fifty pound notes to purchase them.

Can we have an example of which tickets cost more than £5 and can be purchased from a bus driver in Sheffield please I would love to know what they are.

I grew up in an area where the bus drivers had no contact whatsoever with the fares so if you couldn't make the correct change for a fare you had a choice of getting off the bus or voluntarily putting more money than was necessary into the slot to get your ticket. There was no way of the driver giving change because whilst he could see your money in the big glass slot where it was held until he pressed the button for your ticket, when the button was pressed it went down into a locked bin underneath his seat.

No capacity for demanding your money back, getting change or even robbing the driver.

You need Oyster cards like we have in London. Much quicker, no faffing about.

Half the problem is that the fare information isn't published anywhere. If there was a poster at the bus stop showing fares from that stop, I think more people would get the right money ready.

A similar system is already being looked at.

I assume they can't actually use oyster as that's owned by the corporation of London, shame as I do have an oyster card in my wallet.

What everybody's missing here is that it's all very well to say give the correct fare, but suppose you are in a strange city and you have no idea what the correct fare is? I've been in this position both in Birmingham and Edinburgh and was told on both occasions that they don't give change and that I should have the correct fare ready... but in that case why don't they give you some way of working out what the correct fare is? How are you supposed to work it out if you don't know how far it is? Is there a table on the web telling you how much it is to get from A to B... is there hell.

What everybody's missing here is that it's all very well to say give the correct fare, but suppose you are in a strange city and you have no idea what the correct fare is? I've been in this position both in Birmingham and Edinburgh and was told on both occasions that they don't give change and that I should have the correct fare ready... but in that case why don't they give you some way of working out what the correct fare is? How are you supposed to work it out if you don't know how far it is? Is there a table on the web telling you how much it is to get from A to B... is there hell.

I can't use my bus pass when I'm in Scotland, so if I know I'm using the bus there, I carry lots of change. I have a tongue in my head, so I ask the driver how much the fare is, and stick the money in the slot. I only got caught out the first time. :)

If that system was introduced here, everyone would soon get used to it and be prepared.

Archived