"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

such as regularly walking around at night alone

The rape of a stranger is extremely rare. There is a much higher chance of rape by entering into a relationship, but it would be silly to call that a 'high risk' activity.

such as having parents in an abusive relationship.

That's a factor that a child can't control.

Edit; Ah. I understand. That's a pyschological factor.

You're the most insulting person that I've ever read on here.

Why do you take it so personally,the reference wasn't to all males.

Don't dismiss everything erebus has said just because of the expressive emotive language.

I've just been looking at those links.....

such as regularly walking around at night alone, such as having parents in an abusive relationship.

As Chris Sleeps has pointed out, it is believed that stranger rape accounts for only 3%.

Rape Risk factors:

• being female
  • being in the presence of a known male and trusting them
  • being in a relationship

Why do you take it so personally,the reference wasn't to all males.

Don't dismiss everything erebus has said just because of the expressive emotive language.

I've just been looking at those links.....

I agree. The language is a bit inflammatory but I haven't read any of his posts as stating that all men are hateful rapist child abusers. Interesting how the gender difference in reading his posts is quite marked.

I am not talking about underreporting here, that was your point. I am talking about biased sampling.

But if the women had been questioned say 12 months prior to the RCC survey as a general population questionnaire you would most likely have got a skewed result because of the effects of violence. Most sexual violence isn't a one off crime..it's a continual crime.

As part of a caseload many years back a woman was the victim of physical and sexual abuse..it went on from 6 moths into the marriage for about 9 years..then all of a sudden it stopped, but always in fear of him. He still had control by default. Sadly there was a reason for him stopping being violent towards his wife..they had a daughter...he was a doctor and a magistrate.

If you can understand the fear violence generates and the fear of more violence by not conforming to the "Happy housewife" you will get some idea why women go underground and unreported..even to the point of protecting their abusers.

But if the women had been questioned say 12 months prior to the RCC survey as a general population questionnaire you would most likely have got a skewed result because of the effects of violence. Most sexual violence isn't a one off crime..it's a continual crime.

As part of a caseload many years back a woman was the victim of physical and sexual abuse..it went on from 6 moths into the marriage for about 9 years..then all of a sudden it stopped, but always in fear of him. He still had control by default. Sadly there was a reason for him stopping being violent towards his wife..they had a daughter...he was a doctor and a magistrate.

If you can understand the fear violence generates and the fear of more violence by not conforming to the "Happy housewife" you will get some idea why women go underground and unreported..even to the point of protecting their abusers.

The same principle applies to children who are the victims of sexual abuse. Not only are they scared but they don't want to break up the family and be seen as responsible for doing so. Often they are not believed, much in the same way that many posters on here seem to be in denial.

Seriously, my experience and those others who have worked in mental health will tell you that with virtually every case there is a history of abuse somewhere, whether as a child and/or adult. It is truly terrifying and a real eye opener. Denial of the scale of the problem is enbaling this horrible situation to continue.

When people say that having sex with a child is an activity that males love to do, it does tend to have that effect of offending people.

I'd agree. To emphasis a point I think "a minority" of males was deliberately omitted with that intention.

Archived