"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

To reassure Llamatron and others who are disputing the integrity and veracity of these statistics, I have emailed Rape Crisis asking them for further information on the survey sampling method.

They are a very under-resourced and busy organisation, so I don't know if and when I will get a response.

why do I feel like I have been blamed for wasting rape crisis centre time? I wasn't the one quoting any statistics, I don't think they are that relevant to be honest.

If they are going to use statistics this information should be quoted with them, it should not need to be requested.

The bbc, government and many more are guilty of this though I am not having a go at the rape crisis centre alone.

it is less likely to be skewed than if you sample from users of a rape crisis centre, and its a different issue.

Are you suggesting that the statistics should be ignored only to the point that those taking part in the RCC survey are the only victims of violence?

Do you believe that the RCC survey and its figures have no relevancy other than violence towards women exist? At what point do you think the figures statistically become realistic?

It isn't a different issue, it's the same..it's just a matter of how you come to certain conclusions based on fact. A general consensus would not reveal any valid figures unless those that are victims within the general population conformed. Which is VERY unlikely if you have even the remotest idea of continual violence and its controlled effect.

I agree. The language is a bit inflammatory but I haven't read any of his posts as stating that all men are hateful rapist child abusers. Interesting how the gender difference in reading his posts is quite marked.

I can sort of understand how the language would cause offense.I expect that is a deliberate attempt to get a strong message across .An earlier poster accused erebus of having a psychological issue with men, erebus didn't reply to that.It seems he/she prefers to be somewhat ambiguous,they're may be a reason for that.

The women were asked about them being abused, not if they had been abusers. A similar survey of males would ask them about if/how they had been abused. How can you possibly twist that into a situation where they would be asked to volunteer that they had been "sexually violent" or "how violent they are towards their children and wives"?

I didn't twist it..it was an analogy and obvious to everyone to see...with exception of course.

I didn't twist it..it was an analogy and obvious to everyone to see...with exception of course.

Analogies compare like with like ('Have you been abused?' with 'Have you been abused?'), not chalk with cheese ('Have you been abused?' with 'Have you been an abuser?').

Are you suggesting that the statistics should be ignored only to the point that those taking part in the RCC survey are the only victims of violence?

Do you believe that the RCC survey and its figures have no relevancy other than violence towards women exist? At what point do you think the figures statistically become realistic?

It isn't a different issue, it's the same..it's just a matter of how you come to certain conclusions based on fact. A general consensus would not reveal any valid figures unless those that are victims within the general population conformed. Which is VERY unlikely if you have even the remotest idea of continual violence and its controlled effect.

non disclosure is a different issue to biased sampling.

I don't know why I bite, all I was trying to do was correct the misunderstanding of "in a rape crisis centre" vs "carried out by a rape crisis centre".

I can't believe 1 in 4 women have been the victims of rape or attempted rape, sexual abuse maybe. That might just be because I only know my friends which is not a representative sample which is why I am interested to know what the sample was. Although I am fully of the opinion that where a statistic is written the details of how that statistic was arrived at should be alongside it.

why do I feel like I have been blamed for wasting rape crisis centre time? I wasn't the one quoting any statistics, I don't think they are that relevant to be honest.

If they are going to use statistics this information should be quoted with them, it should not need to be requested.

The bbc, government and many more are guilty of this though I am not having a go at the rape crisis centre alone.

Firstly, if you don't think that the statistics are relevant, then why are you questioning them? What criteria do you apply for 'relevance'?

As I stated, if the sample were biased and women who were using Rape Crisis's services, the figure would be closer to 100 and not 25%. I am not sure how you can have a biased sampling when women of all ages and walks of life are the victims of rape.

I don't know why I bite, all I was trying to do was correct the misunderstanding of "in a rape crisis centre" vs "carried out by a rape crisis centre".

I can't believe 1 in 4 women have been the victims of rape or attempted rape, sexual abuse maybe. That might just be because I only know my friends which is not a representative sample which is why I am interested to know what the sample was. Although I am fully of the opinion that where a statistic is written the details of how that statistic was arrived at should be alongside it.

Conversely, I know plenty of women who have raped, far fewer by strangers than by an acquaintance. A very common scenario is friend of boyfriend, male friend, boyfriend of a female friend. None fo the women I know who admit to being raped have reported it.

Furthermore, as I pointed out in an earlier post:

It is a far higher figure than that and improve to get a true picture as it is a vastly underreported crime and men are hardly coming forward in droves to admit that they're rapists. How many men, I wonder, do not take 'no' for an answer and pressurise/coerce their partners into sex and/or sulk/go off on one when they get turned down, to the extent that their partner just gives in for the sake of a quiet life and/or to be left alone? I bet that a lot of men and women recognise that scenario alone.

Archived