"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

Simple question..have you been raped?

No, and I don't know anyone that has been raped or anyone that has committed rape, the only relevance that would have is that because of my experience I am extremely doubtful that 25% of the male population are rapists and that 25% of the female population have been raped, I can understand though why a rapist or some that has been raped repeatedly may completely agree with the survey.

As for the nature of the research conducted, I don't like the implication that it must be biased if conducted by Rape Crisis, if as organisation they are are trying to justify their existence and funding, they only have to produce the number of women who use their service as all calls are logged for this reason. They may well have commissioned the research, the website doesn't state.

I imagine that as with any survey, a cross section of women were selected. No one, least of all women, want to inflate rape statistics, however, the incidence of rape is an unpalatable truth.

If you're that interested, why don't you email them and ask to see the study and research methodology? I do not doubt for one moment that the figure is any way questionable. I am sure that if men were asked if they had ever raped or beaten up a woman then the figure would be much much smaller as they're hardly likely to admit to it and some would not even recognise that they had raped a woman.

How do you define 'higher risk'? I think that if you read any of the research on rape, it happens to all women, of all backgrounds, of all ages. The risk factor is being female, end of.

From the Rape Crisis website (my bold):

Also from their website:

Mumsnet conducted a similar survey in which they asked people to fill in an online survey, based on the response they concluded that 10% of women have been raped, they failed to comprehend that the majority of respondents to an only survey about rape would acutely be people that have been raped or know someone that has been raped. I doubt that someone with no experience of rape would seek out such a rape survey which would make the result biased.

Reading the article it seems that a woman/wife/partner who is persuaded to have intercourse with her husband when she initially does not want to can accuse her lover of rape.

My understanding of rape is when a woman is forced to have sexual relations as a result of violence or the consequences if she doesn't submit.

An interesting statistic may be how many complaints were made to South Yorkshire Police for offences of rape compared to the number of women of a relevant age group in the area covered.

The same principle applies to children who are the victims of sexual abuse. Not only are they scared but they don't want to break up the family and be seen as responsible for doing so. Often they are not believed, much in the same way that many posters on here seem to be in denial.

Seriously, my experience and those others who have worked in mental health will tell you that with virtually every case there is a history of abuse somewhere, whether as a child and/or adult. It is truly terrifying and a real eye opener. Denial of the scale of the problem is enbaling this horrible situation to continue.

It’s not about denial of believing someone when they claim to have been raped, fortunately in this country one is innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof is on the accuser.

I remember a case a few years back in which a male teacher lost his job and was charged with the rape of a school girl, it turned out that she had made it up to get him back for something that happened in school.

We simply cannot accept the ward of everyone that claims to be a victim unless it is provable, although we can help them move away from the person they are accusing.

Firstly, if you don't think that the statistics are relevant, then why are you questioning them? What criteria do you apply for 'relevance'?

As I stated, if the sample were biased and women who were using Rape Crisis's services, the figure would be closer to 100 and not 25%. I am not sure how you can have a biased sampling when women of all ages and walks of life are the victims of rape.

I wasn't questioning them I was trying to clear up your confusion about the other post-MrSmith had a valid point. I don't think its relevant in a kind of one is too many kind of way!

A non-biased sampe for a percentage of women that had been raped or suffered an attempt would be a significant (as in statistically significant) proportion of the general female population.

You have agreed it would be biased sampling if it was a sample from a rape crisis clinic so you have already given an example of that.

It also requires a definition of attempted rape I think.

Mumsnet conducted a similar survey in which they asked people to fill in an online survey, based on the response they concluded that 10% of women have been raped, they failed to comprehend that the majority of respondents to an only survey about rape would acutely be people that have been raped or know someone that has been raped. I doubt that someone with no experience of rape would seek out such a rape survey which would make the result biased.

Self-selecting sruveys are a bit different to random sampling and asking respondents questions.

For argument's sake, the figure is somewhere between 10-25%, possibly higher as so many women remain silent on this issue, for reasons which are obvious. Interestingly, the report in the Metro to which I linked highlighted how when women are asked if they have had been forced into sex, they get a higher 'yes' response than if the word 'rape' has been used. For many, the word rape conjured up images of strangers leaping out of dark alleys and weilding knives. The reality is very different and it takes a lot to admit that one has been raped, do not underestimate that.

I wasn't questioning them I was trying to clear up your confusion about the other post-MrSmith had a valid point. I don't think its relevant in a kind of one is too many kind of way!

A non-biased sampe for a percentage of women that had been raped or suffered an attempt would be a significant (as in statistically significant) proportion of the general female population.

You have agreed it would be biased sampling if it was a sample from a rape crisis clinic so you have already given an example of that.

It would be biased and pointless because the users of the clinic are women who have been raped. I can't even believe that the question was ever asked. It would be like asking AA members if they had ever been alcoholics.

It would be biased and pointless because the users of the clinic are women who have been raped. I can't even believe that the question was ever asked. It would be like asking AA members if they had ever been alcoholics.

I think it was probably a joke to emphasise a valid point!

Archived