"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

that it matters who was sampled, as you have agreed!

Random sampling of people from a wide cross section of society is what any self-respecting researcher would do unless they're looking specifically at target groups, obviously if they had used as a sample the women using their service it would totally distort the overall picture.

Questioning the integrity of the research methods employed in the women surveyed in the survey that Rape Crisis is quoting is as they have since responded to my email, so in their words:

many people are unaware of the amount of sexual violence in today's society and will question and challenge any statistics we use. There is of course no way of knowing the exact number of women who are raped each year as so many remain silent. We do however ensure that we only use stats which are backed up by research or by the data we collate from our member centres.

Part of the problem I suspect is because this is such a sensitive issue and the researchers wish to protect women's anonyminity; so very little indentifying data is out in the public domain.

Another statistic worth considering is the percentage of women who contact the Rape Crisis Clinic compared to the number of women in the same age group in the same area.

Calls are anonymous and unless a caller volunteers her age, that will not be known. Also, you may end up with the call being routed to another branch (ie non-local) if the lines are engaged or the local one is closed.

Random sampling of people from a wide cross section of society is what any self-respecting researcher would do unless they're looking specifically at target groups, obviously if they had used as a sample the women using their service it would totally distort the overall picture.

Questioning the integrity of the research methods employed in the women surveyed in the survey that Rape Crisis is quoting is as they have since responded to my email, so in their words:

Part of the problem I suspect is because this is such a sensitive issue and the researchers wish to protect women's anonyminity; so very little indentifying data is out in the public domain.

That makes me question the statistic more! They don't need to identify anyone at all but they should be able to state the sample was chosen from town or towns x, y, z from the census dated xxxx (or something like that). Or whose research it was.

Sorry but bad statistics reporting is something I would put in room 101. Its at best meaningless and at worst misleading.

That makes me question the statistic more! They don't need to identify anyone at all but they should be able to state the sample was chosen from town or towns x, y, z from the census dated xxxx (or something like that). Or whose research it was.

Sorry but bad statistics reporting is something I would put in room 101. Its at best meaningless and at worst misleading.

I agree that it is poor form not to reference the research paper, assuming that there is one, however, I suspect that it is to protect the respondents. They do not need to identify anyone, however, if too much informsation were provided on the methodology, it could possibly compromise the anonyminity of some of the respondents.

Calls are anonymous and unless a caller volunteers her age, that will not be known. Also, you may end up with the call being routed to another branch (ie non-local) if the lines are engaged or the local one is closed.

Presumably stats are kept relating to the area calls come from and it would be possible to base the survey on the youngest and oldest ages where this is known.

Presumably stats are kept relating to the area calls come from and it would be possible to base the survey on the youngest and oldest ages where this is known.

Not as far as I am aware. Calls are logged (ie noted, not traceable). You have no idea of knowing where the calling is from unless they identify themselves as being from the immediate vicinity or otherwise. If people knew that all kinds of data were being held about them, they would be deterred from calling. Centres can produce stats on the number of calls they have received and the number of women who have come in for one to one counselling.

I agree that it is poor form not to reference the research paper, assuming that there is one, however, I suspect that it is to protect the respondents. They do not need to identify anyone, however, if too much informsation were provided on the methodology, it could possibly compromise the anonyminity of some of the respondents.

I would expect a survey of this sensitivity that is going to accuse 25% of men as being rapists to at least be able to tell use the most likely age group and ethnicity of people being raped and the relationship of the alleged rapist to the accuser and the circumstances in which they were raped.

For all we know from the survey it is one particular ethnic group that said yes to being raped whilst the rest said no and if it’s anonymous the accuser may have reason to lie.

It’s this kind of bad survey that demeans rape and almost makes rape appear normal, for someone that has considered rape it tells them that its normal and they won’t be caught.

I would expect a survey of this sensitivity that is going to accuse 25% of men as being rapists

Nobody has said that. The original quote was:

According to Women's Aid, 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence at some point in their lifetime. 1 in 4 women have experienced rape or attempted rape. Violence against women is undeniably a huge problem.

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=1602

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Statistics2.php/Statistics2.php

Given that 25% of women have experienced both types of violence [...]

I would expect a survey of this sensitivity that is going to accuse 25% of men as being rapists to at least be able to tell use the most likely age group and ethnicity of people being raped and the relationship of the alleged rapist to the accuser and the circumstances in which they were raped.

For all we know from the survey it is one particular ethnic group that said yes to being raped whilst the rest said no and if it’s anonymous the accuser may have reason to lie.

It’s this kind of bad survey that demeans rape and almost makes rape appear normal, for someone that has considered rape it tells them that its normal and they won’t be caught.

You're getting very hung up on this survey. There are other statistics out there which give a clear indication of these breakdowns.

As Chris Sleeps pointed out stating that 25% of women have experienced rape or attmepted rape is not the same as saying that 25% of men are rapists.

The fact that we constantly hear and see reports of rape trials which haven't resulted in a conviction, hear the derisory attrition rates, witness the endless victim blaming and demonisation of women who are raped, see them accused of being whores, teases, slags, sluts, liars etc is all in itself enough to 'normalise' rape and give a powerful message that men are and can get away with it, without the statistics on the Rape Crisis website. In short, rape culture is alive and well and needs no help from statistics of this nature.

Archived