"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

Nobody has said that. The original quote was:

If 25% of women have been raped and 97% of rapist is known to their victim, then either 25%ish of men are rapists or just a small minority of men know a lot of women and rape them, then add to that the men that are raped by men and the boys that are raped by men and the figure must be near 25% of men are rapists which is very questionable.

The fact that we constantly hear and see reports of rape trials which haven't resulted in a conviction, hear the derisory attrition rates, witness the endless victim blaming and demonisation of women who are raped, see them accused of being whores, teases, slags, sluts, liars etc is all in itself enough to 'normalise' rape and give a powerful message that men are and can get away with it, without the statistics on the Rape Crisis website. In short, rape culture is alive and well and needs no help from statistics of this nature.

Means that the accuser failed to prove that they had been raped and the burden of proof must always be with the accuser. We can’t be locking everyone up that is accused of a crime, without it being proved that they did commit the crime. It isn't unknown for women to accuse men of rape to get some kind of revenge or to extort money out of them.

If 25% of women have been raped and 97% of rapist is known to their victim, then either 25%ish of men are rapists or just a small minority of men know a lot of women and rape them

How you've come to the 25% of men figure, I can only presume that you're using the logic that 1 man will rape 1 woman in his lifetime. It's your call, but I'll dismiss it at the minute thanks.

I did jury duty once and got a case of child abuse. One man had sexually abused 2 of his children, and 3 of his grandchildren. When his other children took the stand to testify (then well into their adulthood) and were asked if they'd been abused, 2 said they couldn't remember and only 1 said no.

That's 1 man, in 1 family. I'm not saying everyone is like that, just showing how many lives can be touched over a lifetime of abuse.

How you've come to the 25% of men figure, I can only presume that you're using the logic that 1 man will rape 1 woman in his lifetime. It's your call, but I'll dismiss it at the minute thanks.

I did jury duty once and got a case of child abuse. One man had sexually abused 2 of his children, and 3 of his grandchildren. When his other children took the stand to testify (then well into their adulthood) and were asked if they'd been abused, 2 said they couldn't remember and only 1 said no.

That's 1 man, in 1 family. I'm not saying everyone is like that, just showing how many lives can be touched over a lifetime of abuse.

I thought we were talking about women being raped, or does the survey actually mean females being raped. If its women then yes it’s possible that just a few men have multiple partners and rape them.

I was giving in an example of why 25% of women have been a victim, does not equate to 25% of men being an aggressor.

I take your point but I did say before you made it, unless a minority of men know and lot of women and rape them.

I imagine though that the vast majority of alleged rapes are being done by the women’s partner, so like I said it could be the same men with multiple partners.

Means that the accuser failed to prove that they had been raped and the burden of proof must always be with the accuser. We can’t be locking everyone up that is accused of a crime, without it being proved that they did commit the crime. It isn't unknown for women to accuse men of rape to get some kind of revenge or to extort money out of them.

I'm not interested in a discussion about whys and therefores, of which I am sadly too aware, just pointing out that these are the factors that create the current climate where a man may perceive that he will get away with it.

I'm not interested in a discussion about whys and therefores, of which I am sadly too aware, just pointing out that these are the factors that create the current climate where a man may perceive that he will get away with it.

Some men found guilty of rape didn’t even know they had committed rape, so I doubt they even think about whether they will get away with it or not.

The problem when stats of this crime are published that state 1 in 4 women have been raped cause most people to disbelieve them and so minimises the impact of the perception of the extent of the crime.

Sensational reporting does not help victims.

Rape is a terrible crime and if stats are to be published they need to be coroborated and verified with evidence.

Some men found guilty of rape didn’t even know they had committed rape, so I doubt they even think about whether they will get away with it or not.

I think that there is probably quite a number of men who would never ackowledge that they have committed rape. Anyway, you're the one who brought up the fact that the 25% figure would be conveying the impression that men are getting away with it, I suggested that other factors would be more influencial in this respect.

Archived