"Rape not the rapists' fault - It's the world's fault"

My claim now?! I was quoting research I didn't pluck a figure out of the air.

From the Fawcett Society website:

If you all want to argue abut what constitutes rape and question statistics, I am leaving you to it. For some reason you're in denial about the scale of the problem. Let's just hope that it never happens to you or one of your nearest and dearest, eh?

Thats interesting that according to these facts, which are often statistics with no background as to how they were gathered stanger rape was actually 44% of recorded rapes. Thats much higher than I had thought, its actually getting close to 50 %.

From the Fawcett Society website:

If you all want to argue abut what constitutes rape and question statistics, I am leaving you to it. For some reason you're in denial about the scale of the problem. Let's just hope that it never happens to you or one of your nearest and dearest, eh?

Sometimes it appears that the same attitudes that existed in the past are still prevalent in todays society. Sad!

As Chris Sleeps has pointed out, it is believed that stranger rape accounts for only 3%.

Rape Risk factors:

• being female
  • being in the presence of a known male and trusting them
  • being in a relationship

hmmmm:huh: which of your statistics is correct then?

This illustrates why statistics should be used with caution and how important it is to include sampling information. If I presume you have not made up the 3% one (you may have linked this somewhere but I am not going to trawl through to find it), these two statistics directly contradict each other. Stranger rape cannot be ca. 3% whilst rape by someone known to the victim is at 66%.

I assume both these statistics have come from proper studies and are the result of some kind of statistical analysis and are both therefore "true" to an extent.

I hope you do answer because I am genuinely confused? Am I missing something?

hmmmm:huh: which of your statistics is correct then?

This illustrates why statistics should be used with caution and how important it is to include sampling information. If I presume you have not made up the 3% one (you may have linked this somewhere but I am not going to trawl through to find it), these two statistics directly contradict each other. Stranger rape cannot be ca. 3% whilst rape by someone known to the victim is at 66%.

I assume both these statistics have come from proper studies and are the result of some kind of statistical analysis and are both therefore "true" to an extent.

I hope you do answer because I am genuinely confused? Am I missing something?

The 3% figure was the number of callers who used Rape Crisis's services and had experienced stranger rape, a significant majority of whom will not report the crime. The figure from the Fawcett Society website is 34 % I believe rather than 44% and that is taken from recorded* rapes; which women are more likely to report than stranger rape than acquiaintance/spousal rape for obvious reasons.

Like it or not, rape is a far wider problem than so many on here are prepared to accept.

Now I have work to do, so figure it out for yourself. The bottom line is because it is so underreported for a variety iof factors, many of which are evident on here, it is impossible to get a true statistic, which is why representative surveys are needed and indeed, carried out.

* I assume this to mean recorded rapes of reported rapes held by the police

The 3% figure was the number of callers who used Rape Crisis's services and had experienced stranger rape, a significant majority of whom will not report the crime. The figure from the Fawcett Society website is 34 % I believe rather than 44% and that is taken from recorded* rapes; which women are more likely to report than stranger rape than acquiaintance/spousal rape for obvious reasons.

Like it or not, rape is a far wider problem than so many on here are prepared to accept.

Now I have work to do, so figure it out for yourself. The bottom line is because it is so underreported for a variety iof factors, many of which are evident on here, it is impossible to get a true statistic, which is why representative surveys are needed and indeed, carried out.

* I assume this to mean recorded rapes of reported rapes held by the police

There you go a perfect example of why a statistic is meaningless without a sampling method.

I will accept your kind apology for calling me dim:)

If I see some evidence of it being 1/4 I will be happy (or unhappy) to accept that it is that high. I am a bit worried about their response to your request for sampling details to be honest. It may be down to how you worded your request but it sounds like they might not know the answer.

No..I'm saying that consent from the perps point of view is irrelevant..he doesn't require consent, he doesn't even consider it..but as his defense it may be very important. If the victim said "yes" if only as a means to reduce the effects and acknowledges the "yes"under oath, the judge would have to acquit on grounds of consent. Gladly this is not how the judicial system works and why we have a jury system...in other words "yes" can mean "no" and quite rightly seen for what it is. In the case of a woman who is in a relationship yes means yes and most likely based on her relationship and a chattel mindset that prevails to this day (heavily disguised mind you)rather than the actual perceived crime. Marriage or relationships should have no bearing on a woman making an allegation other than they are familiar with one another...otherwise we'll end up assessing on grounds of how much cleavage is shown or the type clothing worn as a distraction.

If a woman falsely accuses a man of rape and is found to do so then the law should be applied in exactly the same way as if the man was found guilty...I have no issue with that and equally zero tolerance. But..and this isn't an excuse..these false allegations are very rare in comparison to the conviction rate of rapists, sexual violence and paedophiles. If that rate of conviction mirror imaged the rate of false allegations our prisons would be almost empty of sexual deviants.

Work calls.

If a woman consents to sexual relations with a man/husband/partner when she doesn,t really feel like it but consents to please him is this classed as rape ?

If a woman agrees to sexual relations with a man/husband/partner when she is not in the mood but because she thinks it will gain her material goods or something else she wants does this make her a prostitute ?

The answer in my view to both questions is no but if stats are not gathered properly the answer to both could be recorded as yes.

If a person in evidence says they gave consent but it was given under duress it will obviously be taken into consideration.

We don't have to believe everything we read, but how much more confirmation do we need to be convinced that a crime needs to be taken more seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape

we definitely should not believe whats written on wikipedia. Anyone can write it or edit it, never believe what you read on there unless you already know it to be true!

If you are going to use it, only use it for the links to real sources of information!

we definitely should not believe whats written on wikipedia. Anyone can write it or edit it, never believe what you read on there unless you already know it to be true!

If you are going to use it, only use it for the links to real sources of information!

It offers an introduction into a subject that can be more thoroughly researched to gather further information.

I use it as a source not a definitive source,people can decide for themselves whether they choose to read or ignore it.

I read the newspapers sometimes but i don't always believe every detail i read in them.That hasn't stopped me from posting links from articles i have read, the same as a lot of other people on the forum.

Archived