A lot of fuss about swearing?

I hear that in Barnsley the ban on swearing in the Town centre has acchieved a measure of success since the £80 on the spot fines have been introduced.

Is the school where pupils were given a work sheet with a list of swear words to draw attension to what is appropiate and wasn't isn't, taking it a step too far though?

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/news/article/5321/pupils-get-lesson-in-swearing

Trying to protect children from exposure to swear words is a pointless exercise so you may as well teach them when it is and is not appropriate to use them. It is not like ready the c word is going to fry their brains and turn them into mindless thug.

jb

I hear that in Barnsley the ban on swearing in the Town centre has acchieved a measure of success since the £80 on the spot fines have been introduced.

Is the school where pupils were given a work sheet with a list of swear words to draw attension to what is appropiate and wasn't isn't, taking it a step too far though?

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/news/article/5321/pupils-get-lesson-in-swearing

I think it's a bit radical, but given that they probably know all of those words anyway, it's probably a good idea to teach them what and when certain words or phrases are acceptable in social situations.

Yes parents should teach this sort of thing, and lead by example, but sadly a lot don't.

No it isn't the fault of the children is it,they are exposed to swearing everywhere many of them in their own homes, but something needs to be done to make them more aware that swearing in public is offensive to many people and showing respect for the feeings of other people in the community should be a consideration.

The only time I find swearing offensive is when it's used by people who's command of the English (or other) language is so poor, they're the only words they know. There again, I get pretty annoyed by people who can't communicate properly anyway, irrespective of swearing or not. In any case, how could a simple word be offensive? It's the way they're used in a sentence that (to some) makes them repulsive, or indeed ... funny!

I see myself as being pretty araldite, and have no problem at all slipping in the occasional well placed invective to add a bit of humour to a conversation. :)

This thread just reminded me of an old joke where a child used inappropriate words and was unaware that they were offensive in the wrong situation.

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant building. One day Joe, Steve and a gang of building workers turned up to start building a house on the empty plot. The young family's 5 year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold, more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important. They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.

At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope containing two pounds in 10p coins. The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account. When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and the fact she had a 'pay packet'.

"You must have worked very hard to earn all this", said the bank cashier. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men building a big house."

"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the house again this week, as well?" The little girl thought for a moment and said... "I think so.... Provided those Tw### at Jewsons deliver the f#####g bricks."

I shot a nasty look at a woman 'effing' whilst chatting to a friend in front of her three year-old yesterday. I was several yards away and could hear her.

It annoys me when I take the boy to play snooker. They do discount rates to attract people under 16 but he then has to put up with male idiots who can't utter a sentence without swearing.

This thread just reminded me of an old joke where a child used inappropriate words and was unaware that they were offensive in the wrong situation.

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant building. One day Joe, Steve and a gang of building workers turned up to start building a house on the empty plot. The young family's 5 year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold, more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important. They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.

At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope containing two pounds in 10p coins. The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account. When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and the fact she had a 'pay packet'.

"You must have worked very hard to earn all this", said the bank cashier. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men building a big house."

"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the house again this week, as well?" The little girl thought for a moment and said... "I think so.... Provided those Tw### at Jewsons deliver the f#####g bricks."

:hihi::hihi:

Reminds me of an acquaintance who was doing a school inspection visit. He said the teacher was reading 'The three little pigs' and all the kids were sitting attentively, spellbound by the teacher's animated reading of the story, and she got to, 'and he huffed, and he puffed and he blew the house down' and a kid shouted, "THE B******!!"

The only time I find swearing offensive is when it's used by people who's command of the English (or other) language is so poor, they're the only words they know. There again, I get pretty annoyed by people who can't communicate properly anyway, irrespective of swearing or not. In any case, how could a simple word be offensive? It's the way they're used in a sentence that (to some) makes them repulsive, or indeed ... funny!

I see myself as being pretty araldite, and have no problem at all slipping in the occasional well placed invective to add a bit of humour to a conversation. :)

I have been known to let the odd swear word slip out myself on occasions,and more in anger then in fun i'm sorry to say.:blush:

They're has to be a time and place though.Recently i've been using public transport quite a lot,and twice i've had to say to someone "would you mind not using that language please" luckily i havn't received any abusive replies,but why are adults ignoring all this "effin and blinding" from kids in public areas now,it sounds awful when its practically every other word.

At a bus stop on Angel St, 2 teenage lads were swearing constantly and explaining to each other in detail exactly what physical injuries they were going to inflict on another lad. It went on and on and the elderly lady next to me told me how upset she was by it. I told the lads to cut it out and that we didn't want to hear them or their vile language. One of them turned to me with a cheery smile and said : "We can't help it. It's our culture". 2 white teenage lads for heaven's sake. I told them it wasn't and to shut up and they did.

I work with young people and there's a definite assertion that the youth culture involves constant swearing and should be expressed whenever 2 or more of them get together. I find it offensive & I hear it every day. How you protect your children from it I don't know.

Archived