The road to drug addiction?

The more I read this sentence the funnier it becomes. I can't imagine there are many people that would try cocaine and LSD before they have tried wine:hihi:

You mean your parents stash of pills and powder wasn't right next to the bottle of sherry?!

They can add this to the study for free if they like

100% of students were shown to have experimented with the use DHydrogen Oxide before moving onto harder drugs. We believe that if students can be prevented from using this pernicious substance they will never have the chance to progress to anything harder.

If you want your kids to stay away from drugs, then you might want to keep teenagers off alcohol because a new study says that long term drug abuse is likely to occur due to alcohol, not marijuana, use.

The present study included data on more than 14,500 high-school students from 120 schools across U.S. The data was obtained from Monitoring the Future study.

Researchers analyzed the data to find out what substances were being tried by students. They checked for use of marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, amphetamines, tranquilizers and other narcotics. Alcohol was the first substance to be tried by students, the results showed.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120711/10771/alcohol-addiction-marijuana-drugs.htm

We have a very different drinking culture to the U.S so I would not be too drawn to a study on such matters from a U.S source.

This directly conflicts with evidence from Europe where it's normal for children to be given watered alcohol with meals from a relatively young age.

Perhaps the difference being that because it isn't made out as taboo and something that only adults are allowed to do, children and teens aren't all that interested. They have a drink if they want one, but the whole binge drinking problem and alcohol related social problems that the UK experiences are far less prevalent.

The difference lays in responsible use of alcohol because when you are intoxicated you are more susseptable to drug use. I think that's what the study proves.

These are quite different statements.

That’s because one is a quote from a web site and one is based on the memory of something I read.

It's interesting reading though.

I wonder what 'as much as half their risk' means.

If the risk of becoming addicted to nicotine is 90% each time it's used for someone with the 'wrong' genetics, then does this mean that it's only 45% for someone with the 'right' genetics?

If you look at the long term cumulative chance of becoming addicted it trends towards 100% very quickly for both types.

For example (if it's this simple), at a 45% chance of becoming addicted with each use, use it 5 times and the chance of becoming addicted is 1 - (.55^5) = 0.95 (95%).

An example could be that alcohol renders me unconscious very quickly and gives me no pleasure at all, therefore I am very unlikely to become addicted to it, I would imagine that my reaction to alcohol has something to do with my genes.

They can add this to the study for free if they like

100% of students were shown to have experimented with the use DHydrogen Oxide before moving onto harder drugs. We believe that if students can be prevented from using this pernicious substance they will never have the chance to progress to anything harder.

Dangerous stuff that dihydrogen oxide!

We have a very different drinking culture to the U.S so I would not be too drawn to a study on such matters from a U.S source.

I notice no mention of the fact that you have to be 21 to legally drink in the USA. If that is still the case then its not surprising students are experimenting with alcohol before then. Students over here are normally tanked up at 18.

If you want your kids to stay away from drugs, then you might want to keep teenagers off alcohol because a new study says that long term drug abuse is likely to occur due to alcohol, not marijuana, use.

The present study included data on more than 14,500 high-school students from 120 schools across U.S. The data was obtained from Monitoring the Future study.

Researchers analyzed the data to find out what substances were being tried by students. They checked for use of marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, amphetamines, tranquilizers and other narcotics. Alcohol was the first substance to be tried by students, the results showed.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120711/10771/alcohol-addiction-marijuana-drugs.htm

You mean alcohol is a gateway drug?!

This is brand new information. Do bears crap in forested regions? Does the pope adhere to catholicism? :D:rolleyes:

Archived